Sharing an EASY Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe from scratch! This sauce beats Olive Garden’s and is so easy to make! Simple ingredients with phenomenal results in 10 minutes!
alfredo sauce recipe-
You may be asking, what exactly is Alfredo sauce? Alfredo sauce is classic Italian sauce used in pasta with butter, parmesan cheese and heavy whipping cream. The rich and creamy sauce goes great with pasta like Fettucine and protein like chicken or shrimp.
alfredo sauce ingredients-
Alfredo sauce is such a simple and requires very few ingredients that are most likely already in your fridge.
- Cream- Heavy whipping cream for a richer flavor. Tip- you can substitute for half and half or milk for a healthier and lighter option.
- Milk- Helps balance the richness and thickness of the sauce.
- Butter- Unsalted butter adds a depth of flavor to the sauce.
- Garlic- Enhances the bland taste.
- Parmesan cheese- Though we used grated cheese, you can grate fresh cheese for better results.
- Salt and pepper- Season the sauce to taste.
how to make alfredo sauce?
Making homemade alfredo sauce from scratch is so QUICK and EASY!
- In a large skillet or saucepan with a thick bottom, add the butter and minced garlic. Cook until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Over low/med heat, stir in the milk and heavy whipping cream.
- Add the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue whisking until well incorporated so it doesn’t separate.
- Cook until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
what can you use alfredo sauce for?
When once thinks of Alfredo sauce, the first thing that comes to mind is some kind of pasta and you are right. However, don’t limit the creamy sauce just to the pasta, enjoy Alfredo with these other recipes:
- Open-faced sandwich
- Classic Fettucine Alfredo with Chicken
- Asparagus with Creamy Mushrooms
- Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Mushroom Casserole
FAQ’s ABOUT ALFREDO SAUCE-
- How long can the sauce stay fresh? Once cooled, keep the sauce in a jar refrigerated up to 3 days.
- How to make a healthy Alfredo sauce? For a healthier option, leave out the heavy whipping cream and substitute for milk instead.
- Can I use half and half? You can substitute the milk and heavy whipping cream with half and half for a lighter sauce that isn’t so rich.
- Can I freeze Alfredo Sauce? I would not recommend freezing the sauce!
- How to reheat the sauce? When reheating the sauce, do so over low heat. You may need to add more milk if the sauce is too thick.
- The secret to the BEST sauce? You want to make sure to keep the sauce cooking over low/medium heat. If you cook it over high heat, the sauce will separate and you can scorch the bottom.
Once you try this homemade version of the Classic Alfredo Sauce, it will be on repeat in your home!
The BEST recipe for Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a skillet, melt together butter and garlic until fragrant.
- Over low heat, whisk in the milk, heavy whipping cream and parmesan to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until sauce thickens and is well incorporated.