The easiest homemade Butter cookie recipe! These classic butter cookies are dipped in chocolate and sprinkled, making them the perfect Holiday cookies.
Enjoy these cookies alongside a hot chocolate bar for a fun holiday treat!
BUTTER COOKIES RECIPE-
This cookie recipe is buttery yet crispy and then dipped in chocolate, so GOOD. These delicious homemade Italian butter cookies are so fun to make with the kids. Kiddos love to help make the cookies and dip them into chocolate and add sprinkles to cookies.
Watch the full detailed video for these Butter Cookies on our YouTube and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to our channel.
WHAT YOU NEED-
All you need is just 7 staple ingredients for these classic butter cookies and you can whip these up in under 30 minutes!
- Butter– Butter is the main ingredient in this recipe. You want to use good quality room temperature unsalted butter.
- Sugar– This recipe calls for granulated sugar.
- Vanilla– You want to use vanilla extract, this is for added flavor!
- Egg– Large egg
- Milk– Milk softens the dough so it’s pipeable.
- Salt– To enhance flavors!
- Flour– You want to use a good quality all purpose flour for the perfect batch of cookies! We like to use Bob’s Red Mill flour.
- Chocolate– You can use any kind of chocolate; white, dark, or milk chocolate. You can use chocolate chips, chunks or bars for melting.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BUTTER COOKIES-
These cookies are so easy to make and so much fun!
- Cream butter and sugar– Cream the butter with a mixer. Once creamy, add the sugar and mix until creamy and fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients– Add the vanilla, egg, and milk and mix until combined. Sift in the flour and mix slowly until combined.
- Add to piping bag– Add half of the batter to a prepared piping bag with an open star piping tip.
- Pipe Cookies– Using a rosette tip, pipe about 26-28 round rosettes onto a baking sheet with parchment paper. You want to leave 2 inches apart from each cookie. Repeat with the second half of the batter.
- Chill Cookies– Once the cookies are piped onto the baking sheets, chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven.
- Bake– Bake the cookies for about 12-14 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Cool cookies– Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely. (Tip: Keep the baking sheets with parchment paper for decorating.)
- Decorate the cookies– Melt your chocolate, dip half of the cookie into the chocolate and add back to the lined baking sheets. Top with desired toppings and repeat with all the cookies.
- Allow chocolate to set– Place the cookies back into the fridge until the chocolate has hardened.
BUTTER COOKIE TOPPING IDEAS-
There are so many different things you can add to the butter cookies after they are dipped in chocolate! Here are some of our favorite toppings:
- Sprinkles, Christmas sprinkles or classic sprinkles
- Shredded Coconut
- Finely Chopped Nuts
- Dulce de Leche drizzle
- Coarse Sugar
- Chocolate Shavings
- Crushed Caramel
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Store these cookies in an airtight container to avoid them from becoming stale and drying out.
If properly stored, these butter cookies will last up to 1 week.
These cookies freeze GREAT! Once the cookies are cooled, add them to freezer bags and freeze them for up to a month.
No, you can also keep these plain and skip the chocolate dipping.
No, you can also do the slice and bake method for these cookies. Once the batter is ready, add to parchment paper and wrap into a log, and chill until firm. Once firm, slice and add to a baking sheet and bake.
OTHER DELICIOUS COOKIES-
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Poppy Seed Bars
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- Walnut Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Butter Cookies Recipe
- 6 oz chocolate, for melting & dipping
Make the Cookie Batter-
- With a mixer, cream the butter. Once creamy, add the sugar and mix until creamy and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, milk, vanilla and salt and mix to combine.
- Sift in the flour and slowly mix until well combined.
- Pipe about a 2 inch round rosette onto the prepared baking sheets leaving about 2 inches apart from each cookie. Repeat with all the batter making about 26-28 cookies.
Chill the Cookies-
- Once the cookies are piped onto the baking sheets, chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
Bake the Cookies-
- Bake the cookies for about 12-14 minutes on 350°F or until the cookies are golden.
- Transfer the baked cookies onto a cooling rack and allow to completely cool. (Set aside the lined baking sheets for use again during decorating.)
Decorate the Cookies-
- Melt the desired chocolate with the desired method and dip half of the cookie into the chocolate and add back to the lined baking sheets. Top with desired toppings and repeat with all the cookies.
- Place the cookies back to the fridge until the chocolate has hardened.
- Serve and enjoy!