Canned vegetable salad recipe. Canned salad loaded with cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, onions and tomatoes mixed in a sweet vinegar brine, perfect for winder days.
canned vegetable salad recipe-
This is such a wonderful salad to make during the summer days when fresh veggies are in season and preserve them to enjoy during the winter.
prepare the vegetables:
For even and uniform pieces, I highly recommend using a mandoline slicer.
CARROTS- Grate half of the carrots and slice the reset thin on a mandoline slicer for even pieces.
ONIONS- Clean and slice the onion in half, then slice each half in thin slices. If it’s a really large onion, slice in three parts.
CUCUMBERS- Slice cucumber in half, then cut into even pieces. You don’t want the pieces as thin as the onion or carrots, they’ll turn into mush.
TOMATOES- Cut tomatoes, sliced a large tomato in half and then quarter. They’ll break apart more as they’re cooked.
Add all of the ingredients to a canning pot and mix well.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
PREPARE THE SYRUP: In a medium pot combine the oil, vinegar, sugar and canning salt. Stir well. Bring the syrup to a boil and continue stirring until the sugar should dissolves.
Pour the syrup into the pot with all the veggies. Place on stovetop and cook the salad over med/high heat for 15-20 minutes. Mix the as it’s cooking, as needed . The cabbage should be tender but cucumbers still have a bit of a crunch to them.
PREPARE JARS: Wash jars, lids and bands in hot soapy water and rinse well. Place the jars in the oven on the lowest heat to keep them warm.
PRESERVE THE SALAD: Once salad is done cooking, fill each jar with the salad. I like to use a large spoon with holes so the syrup remains in the pot. Then once I distribute all of the salad I take a cup and distribute the remaining syrup amongst the jars.
Wipe any food from the rim of the jars. Close lid. Lightly twist on the band, NOT too tight. Add jars to water, cook 7 minutes. Remove jars from water. Tighten bands all the way.
Layout a towel or small blanket on table or countertop, flip all jar. Cover jars with a towel or blanket and let it sit this way for about 12 hours or overnight.
This salad will stay fresh in a cool place for at least a year. I have had some much longer and they taste great.
This is a classic Ukrainian recipe for canning vegetable salad and I hope you enjoy it. You can tweak the ingredients to your personal liking and have great results.
Canned Vegetable Salad
- Cut and shred the cabbage, carrots, onions, tomatoes and cucumbers. See tips in post.
- Place all the ingredients into a large pot and mix well.
- Prepare syrup. In a medium pot, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar and canning salt. Bring the syrup to a soft boil and continue stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour the syrup into the pot with all the veggies. Place on stovetop and cook the salad over med/high heat for 15-20 minutes. Mix the salad as it's cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the jars.
- When the salad is done cooking fill each jar with the salad.
- Wipe any food from the rim of the jars. Close lid. Lightly twist on the band, NOT too tight. Add jars to water, cook 7 minutes. Remove jars from water. Tighten bands all the way.
- Lay out a towel or small blanket on table or counter top, flip all jar. Cover jars with a towel or blanket and let it sit this way for about 12 hours or overnight.