Learn how to make the BEST Oven Baked Shrimp! This easy shrimp recipe is ready in under 15 minutes and it makes for the ultimate party appetizer recipe!
OVEN BAKED SHRIMP-
Cooking shrimp in the oven is so much easier than you think and maybe enjoyed in so many different ways. Raw shrimp seasoned with salt and pepper then baked to perfection.
HOW TO BUY SHRIMP-
Though you can purchase fresh shrimp from your local grocery store, frozen shrimp works just as well.
- If purchasing frozen shrimp, be sure to place it in the freezer before the shrimp has had time to thaw.
- Shrimp comes in different sizes from small to jumbo. Purchase the appropriate size you’ll need for your recipe.
HOW TO THAW SHRIMP-
Shrimp is best thawed in the refrigerator or in cold water. Do not thaw shrimp on the countertop where bacteria can grow.
Also, don’t thaw shrimp in warm or hot water as the warm water will change the texture of the shrimp. Note: Once thawed, DO NOT refreeze the shrimp.
HOW TO DEVEIN AND PEEL SHRIMP-
Peel shrimp by removing the shell and legs. Devein the shrimp by running a sharp knife down the middle of the back and gently removing the black vein, use a paper towel to hold the veins.
In this recipe, we just season with the classic salt and pepper but you can use any of your favorite homemade seasonings depending on what flavors you like!
HOW TO COOK SHRIMP IN OVEN-
Here is our guide to classic baked shrimp. You can add your favorite seasoning to the shrimp or keep it simple as we did. This is a great way to make shrimp to serve with cocktail sauce.
- Prep baking sheet– Preheat the oven and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Thaw shrimp– Defrost shrimp and completely pat dry. Devein the shrimp and remove the tail, optional.
- Season shrimp– In a small bowl toss shrimp in the olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the shrimp evenly, in a single layer in the baking pan.
- Bake– Bake for 8-10 minutes, until opaque.
- Top with fresh parsley and sprinkle with black pepper. If you want, add some lemon juice over the shrimp before serving.
HOW LONG DO YOU BAKE SHRIMP?
The cook time for shrimp will slightly vary depending on the size of the shrimp. Here is a quick guide to baking shrimp:
- Small shrimp– bake 5-6 minutes
- Large shrimp– bake 7-8 minutes
- Extra-large shrimp– bake 9-11 minutes
- Jumbo shrimp– bake 12-15 minutes
NOTE: All ovens are different, you’ll want to cook the shrimp just until it turns pink and opaque. Overcooking the shrimp will give it a rubbery and unpleasant taste.
There are several different ways that you can enjoy shrimp. Here are some of our favorite ways:
- Appetizer– Serve these with some cocktail sauce and lemon wedges and lemon zest for the BEST shrimp cocktail recipe.
- In Ceviche– Chop up your baked shrimp and make a batch of Shrimp Ceviche!
- In Seafood Cups– We love using them in our Seafood Phyllo Cups.
- Use for Tacos– Season with Cajun seasoning or Taco seasoning and then bake and make Shrimp Tacos.
- For Shrimp Bowls– Season with Taco seasoning before baking, and then serve over rice for dinner like our Shrimp Bowls.
- In Pasta– Add this shrimp into you pasta, we love adding this shrimp to our Homemade Chicken Alfredo recipe.