Learn to make homemade Peanut Butter Frosting that’s creamy, smooth and so delicious. This creamy nutty frosting is the perfect topping for cupcakes, cakes and so much more!
You can’t go wrong with homemade frosting. Whether it’s our classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting or the rich and creamy Chocolate Frosting, frosting really does complete a cake or cupcake!
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING-
This homemade creamy peanut butter frosting is so delicious and packed with so much flavor! The frosting is so creamy and fluffy, that it’s finger-licking good.
If you love peanut butter as much as we do, then this frosting is going to become a new favorite.
- Butter– You want to use room temperature unsalted butter for this frosting.
- Cream Cheese– We love using Philadelphia full-fat cream cheese for this recipe.
- Peanut Butter– Be sure to use creamy peanut butter. We do not recommend using natural peanut butter.
- Vanilla-We like to add vanilla extract for extra flavor!
- Powdered Sugar– To sweeten the frosting we use powdered sugar.
- Heavy Whipping Cream– What makes the frosting so creamy yet fluffy is the heavy whipping cream!
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING-
This creamy frosting comes together in no time! All you need is a blender and the ingredients!
- Cream– In an electric stand mixer or bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Combine– Add in the peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar and beat to combine.
- Whip– Add cream and whip on until the frosting is fluffy and smooth.
- Refrigerate– Once the frosting is done, refrigerate until ready to use.
You can either refrigerate or freeze the frosting.
- Fridge– Store in an airtight container or plastic bag in the fridge for up 5 days! When ready to enjoy, bring it to room temp and then pipe!
- Freezer– Add the frosting to a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 2-3 months. When ready to enjoy, just thaw in the fridge and then mix until fluffy and creamy again.
HOW TO USE PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING-
There are several other ways to use this delicious peanut butter frosting! Here are some great ways to use frosting:
BEST TIPS FOR PIPING-
When piping this frosting, we love using these disposable piping bags! Here are some of our favorite tips to use for piping:
- Plain Tip– If you use this Ateco #808 tip you will get just a classic tube look.
- Classic Closed Star– This Ateco #846 tip is the classic piping tip for cupcakes!
- Open Star Tip– Using this Ateco #828 tip will give you another classic swirl style.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
This batch is perfect for 18 cupcakes!
Yes! You want to keep the frosting in the fridge to avoid it from melting due to the butter and cream cheese.
If you want your frosting thicker, just slowly add more powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add one tablespoon at a time.
No, we do not recommend adding chunky peanut butter to this frosting.
More Peanut Butter Recipes-
- Peanut Butter Parfait
- Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 12 Tbsps unsalted butter, room temp (1½ sticks)
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In an electric stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Once the mixture is creamy and slightly fluffy, add in the peanut butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar and beat the mixture until combined.
- Pour in the heavy whipping cream and beat on high spead until frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate until ready to pipe.