You cannot go wrong with a hearty yet simple casserole! This Chicken Mushroom Casserole is loaded with so many flavors and is so filling. The casserole is layered with potatoes, chicken, and mushrooms in a creamy sauce topped with cheese.
CHICKEN MUSHROOM CASSEROLE-
We love this chicken mushroom casserole for dinner. The layers of potatoes with chicken and sauteed mushrooms in a creamy and thick sauce then loaded with cheese is so so good.
With just a few basic ingredients you can have this hearty casserole ready.
- Chicken- You can use either boneless skinless chicken breast, chicken thighs, or chicken tenderloins (chicken strips) for this casserole.
- Chicken seasoning- Salt, pepper, paprika, and Italian seasoning are what we seasoned the chicken with.
- Potatoes- Russet, Idaho, or Yukon gold potatoes can be used for this dish. We thinly slice our potatoes using a Mandoline Slicer so the potatoes are even in thickness.
- Mushrooms- We used white mushrooms but you can use portabella, shiitake mushrooms, or your favorite mushrooms.
- Onion- Sweet or cooking onion will work.
- Garlic- We used fresh garlic but you can substitute it with garlic powder.
- Butter- Unsweetened butter adds creaminess to the casserole.
- Mozzarella Cheese- You can use freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Herbs- You can use your favorite herbs; cilantro, dill, fresh thyme, or parsley will all work.
- Sauce- For the sauce, stir together mayo, egg, sour cream, and milk with a seasoning of salt and pepper.
how to make the chicken mushroom casserole:
This potato and chicken casserole with mushrooms is by far our favorite and most often made casserole, especially if we like casseroles.
- Chicken- In a small bowl, combine seasonings. Beat the chicken until even in thickness and season with seasoning blend on both sides.
- Cook chicken- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add olive oil in a skillet and pan sear the chicken breast and then turn down the heat and finish cooking.
- Potatoes- Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin pieces, using a mandoline slicer (J).
- Cook potatoes- Saute the potatoes in a skillet with oil until the potatoes are tender and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mushrooms- Saute the sliced mushrooms, chopped onions, and minced garlic with oil until the mushrooms are golden.
- Sauce- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce mixture.
- Assemble- Add the potatoes to the casserole dish and spread evenly, and top with fresh greens. Slice the chicken and add overtop the potatoes. Finally, add the sauteed mushrooms and butter slices.
- Add sauce and cheese- Pour the sauce over all the ingredients and top with shredded cheese and chopped greens. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake.
- Garnish- with fresh herbs and freshly grated black pepper over the entire casserole.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Fridge: Keep leftovers refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Freezer: We do not recommend freezing this dish.
Reheat: Reheat in the oven, microwave, or skillet until warm.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
This chicken casserole recipe is great to make ahead of time! Just prepare the dish per instructions, cover it, and refrigerate until ready to bake. Then, bake per instructions adding 5 minutes to the cooking time.
You can leave out the mushrooms completely or just add them to half of the dish. Our kiddos don’t like mushrooms, so we just add some to one side for my husband and I.
Yes, you can use your favorite protein. You can substitute the chicken for beef, pork, or even use ground meat!
We really like the milk and the richness it gives the sauce but you can substitute it for chicken broth if you’d like.
try other casseroles recipes:
Potato Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 8 large potatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dill, chopped
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- oil, for sauteing
- 4 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- In a large skillet, over med/high heat, heat 2 Tbsp oil. Sear chicken 2-3 minutes per side. Turn heat down to low and cook another 5-6 minutes, until the chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and cover to keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms with chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until mushrooms are golden, salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes slice into thin slices. Over medium/high heat, saute the potato for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg, mayo, milk, salt and pepper.
- Once the potatoes are tender, transfer them into a casserole dish. Spread them evenly along the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with chopped greens.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin strands. Spread over the potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Top chicken with the mushroom mixture. Place 4 Tbsp of butter into the dish.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and pour the sauce all over the casserole.
- Add the cheese and cover dish with foil.
- Baked at 400°F for 35 minutes, remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with herbs and serve.