This is the best recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes! Soft and moist vanilla cupcakes that are strawberry-filled and topped with a rich homemade Buttercream Frosting, these cupcakes are bursting with flavors and such a beautiful treat!
If you like strawberries, you’ll want to try our other strawberry recipes like our Strawberry Milkshake, the easy Stuffed French Toast or our Chocolate Covered Strawberries.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CUPCAKES-
These cupcakes are the perfect dessert to serve for the holidays, birthday parties, or even brunch. The combination of vanilla cupcakes with the strawberry jelly filling and the frosting is so delicious and tastes just like the classic strawberry shortcake cake but mini in size!
Strawberry season: During strawberry season, these cupcakes are extra delicious and flavorful!
- Vanilla cupcakes– We use our amazing homemade vanilla cupcakes for this recipe!
- Strawberries– You want fresh strawberries.
- Vanilla frosting– You can use your favorite buttercream frosting for this recipe, we use our Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting.
- Strawberry glaze– We use store-bought strawberry glaze, but you can also use your favorite strawberry jelly or strawberry jam.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CUPCAKES-
Don’t be intimidated by this recipe! It is such an easy recipe, and tastes phenomenal!
- Make cupcakes– Prepare a batch of our homemade vanilla cupcake recipe. Allow the cupcakes to fully cool on wire racks. Tip: Check THIS post to learn all about making the perfect batch of cupcakes.
- Prepare frosting– Make a batch of our creamy cream cheese buttercream frosting, and set it aside.
- Make the filling– Clean and rinse the strawberries and cut them into small pieces. In a small bowl, combine the strawberries and glaze.
- Prep cupcakes– Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, using a scoop or knife, hollow out about a ½ inch deep hole in the center of each cupcake.
- Fill cupcakes– Fill each hole with the strawberry filling then pipe frosting. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes!
Yes, once you can prepare the frosting and cupcakes ahead of time up to 2-3 days and when ready just assemble.
We do not recommend using frozen strawberries for this recipe.
Yes, you sure can. If you want to use boxed cupcakes, we love THIS brand.
Yes, because the frosting has cream cheese and butter, we recommend keeping them in the fridge. We love using THIS container to store cupcakes.
Yes, you can use any of your go-to vanilla frostings for this recipe, like whipped cream frosting, cream cheese frosting, or even a cheesecake frosting.
Other Small Desserts to Try-
- Cream Cheese Danish
- Banana Bread Muffin
- Blueberry Muffins
- Double Choc Banana Muffins
- Choc Oreo Pudding Delight
- Cherry Hand Pies
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour measured then sifted
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 Tbsps unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsps sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temp (2 sticks)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz fresh strawberries cubed
- 3 Tbsp strawberry jelly
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until creamy and fluffy. Add in the vanilla, milk, sour cream, eggs, and oil and mix until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and gently mix until combined. With a cookie scooper or ¼ measuring cup, divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350°F for about 16-18 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and cool on a cooling rack.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, top with the frosting then decorate and serve.
- In an electric stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Once the mixture is creamy and slightly fluffy, add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and beat the mixture until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate until ready to pipe.
- Clean and rinse the strawberries and cut into small pieces. In a small bowl, combine the strawberries and glaze.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, using a scoop or knife, hollow out about a ½ inch deep hole in the center of each cupcake.
- Fill each hole with the strawberry filling then pipe frosting. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- Serve and Enjoy!