The BEST hot chocolate recipe is ready in just 15 minutes! Homemade hot chocolate that is rich and creamy from cocoa powder and chocolate chip morsels.
Though a good smoothie is great in the summer, Hot Cocoa is that perfect for the winter months.
BEST HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE-
The rich flavors from the cocoa powder and chocolate chips combined with the milk bring you the ultimate cup of hot cocoa! The entire family will love this comforting drink to keep warm. Enjoy this delicious hot cocoa recipe with a topping of whipping cream or marshmallows! You can even arrange a charcuterie board hot chocolate featuring this festive beverage.
WHAT YOU NEED-
You only need 5 simple ingredients, and you can whip this drink up quickly!
- SWEETENER– We use granulated sugar for the sweetener, but you can also use maple syrup or any of your favorite sweeteners.
- COCOA POWDER- You want to make sure you are using unsweetened natural cocoa powder. We like to use Hershey’s, but you can use any of your favorite brands.
- MILK– This recipe calls for whole milk of your favorite plant-based milk. If you want a thicker consistency of hot cocoa, you can add half and half with the milk.
- CHOCOLATE– Use semisweet or bittersweet milk chocolate chips, chunks, or chocolate savings for this drink. We love using the Ghirardelli chocolate brand.
- VANILLA– Vanilla extract for extra flavor but may be left out!
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE-
What we love about this creamy hot chocolate recipe is how simple and fast this recipe comes together.
- In a saucepan, whisk together granulated sugar, cocoa powder, milk, chocolate chunks, and vanilla.
- Place over medium heat and allow to come to a slight simmer, continuously whisking to avoid the burning. Do NOT allow it to come to a full boil, or you could scald the milk.
- Continue cooking on medium-low heat, whisking until all the chocolate has melted.
- Cool to the desired serving temperature and enjoy with your favorite toppings in a mug!
|CHEF’S TIP– To reheat hot chocolate, add to a saucepan and cook over low heat until warmed.|
Hot chocolate flavor Ideas-
The best part about homemade hot chocolate is that you can personalize your hot cocoa! Here are some of our favorite ways:
- PEPPERMINT– You can add peppermint extract to the holiday hot chocolate.
- PEANUT BUTTER– Add a spoonful of peanut butter to the saucepan to enjoy a flavored cup of cocoa.
- SPICED– Go with the Mexican style and add a pinch of cinnamon to the hot chocolate!
- MINT CHOCOLATE– Add mint chocolate if you like the flavor of mint.
- DARK CHOCOLATE– Add your favorite dark chocolate chips to the hot chocolate mix!
|Enjoy this charcuterie board style and make a hot chocolate bar for your next party!|
SLOW COOKER HOT CHOCOLATE-
This recipe works GREAT in a slow cooker! We love making a double portion in the slow cooker when having guests over.
- Add all the hot cocoa mix into the slow cooker and whisk vigorously until all the powder is mixed.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Mix and stir every hour so the ingredients do not settle at the bottom and burn.
- Serve warm with desired toppings or plain.
Other chocolate-inspired recipes-
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Nutella Fruit Dip
- Oreo Pudding Delight
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Oreo Balls
- Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
The Best Hot Chocolate
- Add the sugar, cocoa powder, milk, chocolate, and vanilla into a medium saucepan. Whisk the mixture until well combined.
- Add the saucepan onto the stovetop and place over medium heat and bring to a light boil while constantly mixing. Continue mixing and cooking until all the chocolate has melted.
- Cook until the hot chocolate mixture is well incorporated and the chocolate has melted. TIP: Be sure not to bring the mixture to a boil or you will scorch the milk.
- Set aside to cool to your desired temperature and serve with your favorite toppings.
NOTE: Recipe developed by Valentina’s Corner and first published on Natasha’s Kitchen.