This EASY Twice Baked Potato Recipe is going to become your go-to side dish! Baked potatoes that are crispy on the outside and loaded with cheese, bacon, and green onion and baked again.
TWICE-BAKED POTATO RECIPE-
Twice-baked potatoes get their name from just that, being baked twice! You start off with the classic Baked Potato, then you hollow out the potatoes and make a creamy and tender mashed potato filling which you then stuff back into the potato shells and bake again! We love making this recipe for a side dish all the time!
|Make this recipe in a casserole form with our Twice Baked Potato Casserole Recipe!|
This recipe is so easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients that you most likely already have in the kitchen!
- POTATOES– You want to use larger potatoes for this recipe. We recommend using Russet potatoes, aka Idaho potatoes. Make sure you use even-sized potatoes so that they cook evenly.
- OLIVE OIL– The secret to this potato recipe is the olive oil, which gives you crispy and crunchy skin.
- SOUR CREAM– This is for creamy potatoes, you can also use any sour cream you have on hand!
- MILK– You can use half and half, whole milk, or heavy whipping cream for this recipe.
- BUTTER– Unsalted butter works great for buttery potatoes.
- CHEESE– Any shredded cheese you have on hand works, we like to use Mexican cheese, Mild cheddar cheese, or colby jack cheese.
- SEASONING– This recipe calls for salt and black pepper, but you can also add garlic powder for flavor!
- BACON– Adding bacon is totally optional! We love to use our Air Fryer Bacon recipe for the potatoes.
- GREEN ONION– Finely chopped fresh green onion is recommended for this recipe! You can also use chives.
Our recipe calls for a simple and classic twice-baked potato but you can add some other toppings! Here are some topping ideas-
- Caramelized onions
- Sauteed Mushrooms
HOW TO MAKE TWICE BAKED POTATOES-
We use our classic Baked Potato recipe as a base for this recipe.
- BAKE– Bake the potatoes in the oven until cooked.
- ASSEMBLE– Slice the baked potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the potato flesh into a large bowl with a fork. Repeat with all potatoes and add to a baking sheet.
- FILLING– With a mixer or potato masher, mash the potatoes. Add in the sour cream, milk, butter, shredded cheese, salt, and pepper and mix until well combined and creamy.
- STUFF– Add the creamy potato mixture into the potato skins, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bacon.
- BAKE– Bake the potato for about 15-20 minutes and until the cheese has melted.
- TOP– Top with green onion, bacon, and sour cream to serve.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes! The skin is actually loaded with more nutrients than the inside of the potato! This is why we thoroughly recommend you clean the potato before cooking it.
The internal temperature of a cooked baked potato will read between 205°F and 212°F.
You want to use Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe.
Yes! You can prepare the potatoes per direction and once stuffed, add them to an airtight container. You can prepare this up to 4-5 days ahead of time!
When ready to bake, top with the shredded cheese and then bake until reheated and the cheese melts.
You can reheat the potatoes in the oven or in the microwave until reheated.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes, after you have stuffed the potatoes with the creamy mixture, allow them to completely cool. Once cooled, wrap each potato plastic wrap then in foil. Add all the potatoes to the freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months!
Thaw the potatoes overnight, top with shredded cheese, and bake!
You can use any shredded cheese you have on hand. We like using Colby jack cheese, Mexican, mild cheddar, or monetary jack for a kick!
Yes! After stuffing the baked potato with the creamy mixture add the potatoes to the air fryer basket and bake at 400F for about 8 minutes. Then top with the shredded cheese and air fry for another couple of minutes until the cheese melts.
These potatoes are so delicious and make for a GREAT light lunch idea or you can serve as a side for dinner! Serve with:
- Chicken Tenders
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Pork Chops
- Honey Baked Ham
- Juicy Turkey
- Mushroom Stuffed Chicken
Twice Baked Potato Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wash and scrub the potatoes with water. Pat the potatoes completely dry.
- Add the potatoes to a baking sheet and coat in oil and then sprinlke with salt.
- Bake the potatoes at 425°F for 50-55 minutes or until a fork piereces through easily to the center of the potato.
Stuff the Potatoes-
- Slice the baked potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out all of the potato flesh into a bowl. Repeat with all the potatoes.
- Add the potato skins back to the baking sheet.
- Using a mixer or masher, mash the potatoes. Add in the sour cream, milk, butter, cheese, salt, and pepper and continue mixing until well combined.
- Stuff the potato skins with the creamy potato mixture and top with shredded cheese and bacon.
Twice Baked Potatoes-
- Bake the potatoes again at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Top with green onion and sour cream and serve.