Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe with Beef
Homemade easy Classic Sheperd's Pie Recipe, pure comfort food. Sauteed ground beef with vegetables in a gravy topped with mashed potatoes and baked. Quick casserole for busy evenings.
- 2 lbs mashed potato
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (10%-15% fat)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth (or beef broth)
- 3 Tbsp diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp ketchup
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, more if desired
Meat and vegetables-
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil. Once hot, saute the ground beef with onions, breaking apart the meat as it's cooking.
Stir in the garlic and then flour, add the bay leaves. Pour in the broth.
When the mixture thickens, add in the chopped tomatoes, ketchup, season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
Add in the vegetables and bring to a simmer again, stirring as needed.
Transfer the meat mixture to the bottom of a casserole dish, discarding the bay leaves. Top with creamy mashed potatoes.
With the back of a fork, add design to potatoes.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until potatoes start to turn golden.
- Uncooked - Cover with foil and tightly wrap with a few layers of plastic wrap.
- Cooked - Cool completely, cover with foil and plastic wrap. Completely thaw before cooking or reheating.