Flaky and soft scones loaded with cranberries, orange zest, and topped with a sweet citrus sugar glaze.
– Butter – All-Purpose Flour – Baking Powder – Sugar – Eggs – Orange Juice – Orange Zest
1. Cube the butter and freeze until needed. TIP: Having cold butter is KEY to the perfect scones.
2. In a bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the frozen butter into the dry ingredients and mix with a pastry cutter until coarse crumbs.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar. Add the orange juice, orange zest, heavy whipping cream, and whisk until combined.
4. Add the cranberries into the wet ingredients and mix. TIP: Halve some of the cranberries for extra flavor to release while baking.
5. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients and gently fold until crumbly.
6. Dust workspace with flour and transfer batter onto the surface. Shape into an 8-inch disk. Divide into 8 even-sized scones and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Brush the scones with melted butter and top with coarse sugar and orange zest. Bake at 375F for 16-18 minutes or until golden.
8. Combine powdered sugar with orange juice and whisk until a thick and creamy glaze is created. Once the scones are baked and slightly cooked, drizzle the glaze over the scones!