This Easy Lemon Blueberry Scones recipe is so good!. The scones are delicate, flakey, buttery and sweet bursting with so much flavor from the fresh blueberries topped with a lemon glaze. These scones are perfect for breakfast.
lemon blueberry scones-
This recipe is so much better than any bakery or restaurant! Step aside Starbucks and Panera Bread, these homemade scones have you beat! They are so so easy to make and the perfect combination of flavors. The scones are not your typical recipe though. They aren’t hard and biscuit-like but more of a light and delicate scone, almost a cake texture – so unexpected and delicious.
The lemon zest and juice combined with the buttery batter and topped with a quick lemon glaze is seriously irresistibly delicious scone. You’ll never want to test another recipe for scones, you’re welcome for doing the testing for you. 🙂
how to make lemon blueberry scones:
You can either gently mix the batter in a bowl or even easier if you mix right on parchment paper so it’s easier to transfer the scones.
- BUTTER: Cube the butter and place into the freezer until needed. Butter is key ingredients and must be cold.
- WET ingredients: In a bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and cream until combined and creamy, refrigerate.
- DRY ingredients: Combine the flour with the baking powder. Add in the frozen butter and mix gently until coarse crumbs. (I used THIS.)
- COMBINE: Combine the wet and dry ingredients, just until combined.
- BLUEBERRIES: As the mixture starts to come together fold in the blueberries. (Fresh or frozen blueberries.)
- SHAPE: Transfer dough onto parchment paper dusted generously with flour. Coating the top of the dough with flour, shape into a rectangle. Cut into triangles and arrange on banking sheet.
- BAKE: Brush scones with butter and BAKE, set aside to cool.
- LEMON GLAZE: Combine the powdered sugar with lemon juice for the glaze and drizzle over scones.
tips for the BEST blueberry scones-
- Like pie crust, you want to make sure the ingredients are COLD!!! They dough performs best this way!
- Don’t OVERMIX! The mixture should be crumbly and the texture similar to biscuits.
- Be sure the oven is preheated before you shape the scones. They need to bake right away or the butter will begin melting.
- Allow the scones to cool before adding the lemon glaze.
- Dust scones with powdered sugar for appeal, if desired.
can you make scones the night before?
Yes, these scones are wonderful to make the night before. Shape the scones, cover and refrigerate. Bake the scone in the morning. 🙂
can you freeze scones batter uncooked?
Yes, freeze the scones then transfer to an airtight container. To BAKE: Don’t thaw scones, just add a few minutes to the baking time.
Other desserts you’ll love:
- Chocolate Banana Muffins– oozing with chocolate.
- Raspberry Banana Bread– fresh raspberries + white chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Chip Meringues– so much better than traditional cookies.
- Puff Pastry Tart– so light and easy to make.
Oh, I seriously cannot wait for you to give these blueberry scones a try. They’re mouthwatering, so soft, flakey and delicious. You’ll become a scones lover after this recipe, if you’re not already. 🙂 Homemade is always the best.
Don’t forget to leave us feedback in the comments below. Thanks, friends.
Easy Lemon Blueberry Scones Recipe
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Cube 7 Tbsp butter and place into the freezer until needed, reserving 1 Tbsp.
- In a bowl, cream together the sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and cream, refrigerate.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder. Add in the frozen butter and mix gently until coarse crumbs.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, just until combined. TIP: Add flour mixture onto working serving and create a well, pour in wet ingredients. Mix until coarse and crumbly.
- Gently fold in the blueberries as you finish combining the wet and dry ingredients.
- Generously dust working surface with flour. Transfer dough and shape into a rectangle about 3/4" in thickness.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough into triangles and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Melt reserved 1 Tbsp of butter and brush tops of scones.
- Bake scones 18-20 minute until tops are golden.
- Allow scones to cool before drizzling with the glaze.
- Combine the powdered sugar with lemon juice for the glaze and drizzle over scones.