A hearty and flavorful homemade Beef Goulash Recipe that will become a family favorite! Ground beef cooked with vegetables, marinara and tossed with pasta and cheese, a great combination of flavors.
The recipe is so easy to make and ready in just 30 minutes, the perfect recipe for busy dinners.
What is Goulash?
This is the American version of Goulash and not the traditional recipe that is the symbol of Hungary. The classic Goulash is a soup/stew made with chunks of meat, vegetable and seasoned with spices.
The American Goulash is something of a hearty chili with macaroni, comfort food recipe.
What you’ll need-
- Pasta: Elbow macaroni is the classic pasta used.
- Ground meat: We use 85% lean ground beef in this recipe. If you don’t have ground beef on hand, substitute for pork or turkey.
- Onion: You can use white or yellow onion here.
- Green pepper: This isn’t a classic ingredient but we like the added flavor it gives the dish. You can substitute for red pepper.
- Garlic: We love the added flavor garlic gives.
- Sauce: Diced tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire, and tomato sauce.
- Seasoning: For the seasoning, we used salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and bay leaves.
- Cheese: You can use your favorite shredded cheese. We used Four cheese but just about any cheese will work: Mozzarella, Colby Jack, Mild Cheddar, or a combination of cheeses. You can also just leave out the cheese completely.
This simple one-pan pasta dinner recipe is so hearty and loaded with flavors! Pasta tossed in a rich beef and vegetable sauce and topped with cheese. This homemade goulash recipe will become a favorite comfort food dinner.
- Fresh breadsticks or crispy Italian bread.
- Coleslaw for a potluck.
- An easy tomato salad or crispy cucumber salad.
Store and Freeze Goulash recipe-
- To store: The dish may be refrigerated tightly covered for up to 2 days. Just reheat in a skillet over low heat, stirring as needed.
- To freeze: You can prep this recipe and freeze it without the pasta for up to 2 months. Reheat and add pasta before serving.
More Comfort Food Entrees:
Beef Goulash Recipe
- 8 oz macaroni pasta
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 16 oz tomato sauce (two 8 oz cans) *see note
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese**
- Cook the macaroni pasta according to package instructions. Drain, cover and set aside.
- In a deep skillet, saute the ground beef and break up the pieces with a meat masher.
- Once the meat is starting to brown, add the chopped onions and cubed green peppers and saute until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the minced garlic and season the meat to taste, saute until the garlic is fragrant.
- In the skillet, add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Season the mixture with italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer on low for about 8-10 minutes while continually mixing.
- Add the cooked pasta into the skillet along with the cheese and mix until combined.
- Garnish with chopped greens and serve.