This Mushroom Chicken Gravy Recipe is everything a hearty gravy should be! Chunks of chicken in a delicious mushroom and vegetable gravy. The gravy may be served over mashed potatoes as a side or enjoyed as a meal with an amazing salad!
This hearty gravy recipe is thick and flavorful loaded with chicken, mushrooms, and veggies. There is nothing better than a SIMPLE chicken gravy recipe. The combination of chicken and mushrooms with carrots and fresh dill is absolutely delicious.
how to preppare ingredients for gravy-
- Cut chicken into small, bite-sized pieces. Finely chop mushrooms, grate the carrot, finely chop the onion! TIP: To enjoy the gravy as a meal, cut the chicken into larger pieces and slice the mushrooms instead of finely chopping them.
|NOTE: If you love VEGETA seasoning as much as I do, season the gravy with part salt and part Vegeta. SOO GOOD!|
How to Make Chicken Gravy recipe-
Though this recipe is super easy and not much can go wrong. Read through the entire recipe before beginning so you have no surprises. (Do this with any recipe you make for the first time.)
- Over medium heat, add the broth and water to a medium pot, bring to a light boil. Take out 1/3 cup of the liquid and set it aside.
- In a skillet, saute chicken and add to the pot, turn the heat down to a light boil.
- Saute mushrooms in the same skillet and add sauteed mushrooms to the pot.
- Add the onions and carrots to the skillet and saute. Then add the 1/3 cup liquid that was removed from the pot and flour and mix vigorously.
- Add to pot with remaining ingredients. Season with salt, pepper and add fresh dill.
- Allow the gravy to thicken at a low simmer.
How to serve gravy-
We love this gravy recipe with homemade mashed potatoes and pork patties for the ultimate dinner!
This gravy may be served over your favorite side. Mashed potatoes, rice, egg noodle,s or buckwheat are all great with this mushroom gravy.
Can the gravy be prepared in advance-
Yes, this gravy may be made a day in advance. When reheating the gravy, reheat it on low/med heat not to scorch the pot. If the consistency is too thick, add a few tablespoons of boiling water.
Try these other gravy recipes:
- Vegetable Chicken Stroganoff Recipe– so good with pasta.
- Chicken Mushroom Marsala Gravy– chicken + mushrooms, the perfect combination.
- Meaty Gravy– so simple to make.
Mushroom Chicken Gravy Recipe
- 1/2 lb chicken breast, boneless & skinless
- 1 tsp olive oil (or Canola oil)
- 12 oz white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp ground pepper, or to taste
- Finely chop the onion, grate the carrot, cut chicken in small pieces and chop the mushrooms the same size as the chicken.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tsp oil. Saute chicken until cooked. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, combine the water with chicken broth, bring to a soft boil. Remove 1/3 cup of liquid and set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, at it to the pot. Turn heat down to a soft boil.
- In the same skillet, over med/high heat, saute mushrooms with 1 tablespoon butter until browned. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms to pot with chicken and broth.
- In the same skillet, cook onions over medium heat with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter until tender.
- Add carrots and remaining butter. Cook until carrots are tender, stirring as needed.
- Once carrots are tender, pour the reserved 1/3 liquid into the skillet and stir. Slowly add flour and mix vigorously. Once flour is incorporated, add veggies to the pot. Stir well.
- Add the fresh dill, salt and pepper. Simmer for a couple minutes until gravy thickens.Enjoy, Friends!