This Meaty Gravy is filled with savory flavors that go perfectly with just about any side. It’s an easy and simple dinner and requires just a few simple ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I am pretty sure every Russian or Ukrainian grew up having podliva (gravy) on a regular basis, especially over mashed potatoes and often served with Kotleti (Meatballs).
Though I prefer the Chicken and Mushroom Gravy (because I have a terrible love for mushrooms), this simple recipe is just as wonderful and easier to make.
When I make this gravy and we will not be having any other meat, I like to make thin strips as I have here in the pictures. My hubby has his “meat” and we just enjoy it with mashed potatoes and salad. If there is other meat then I cube the meat into small pieces so it’s not so chunky.
Chef’s Tip: This gravy can also be enjoyed over
mashed potatoes, rice, buckwheat or even pasta.
how to make meaty gravy-
- Cut meat into thin strips or cubes.
- In a deep pan heat the oil. Once hot, add in the meat strips.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then add the onions and season with salt and pepper taste.
- Turn down the heat and cook for another five minutes.
- Add in three cups of water. Cook on medium/high heat for an additional 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine together ketchup, heavy whipping cream, flour, salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Add the mixture to the pan and mix.
- Turn the heat down and allow the gravy to simmer for an additional five minutes.
MORE RECIPES WITH SAUCE:
Meaty Gravy Recipe
- Thinly slice the meat. Chop onion into small pieces.
- Use a deep pan and heat oil over med/high heat. Once the oil is hot, add meat strips. Cook 5 minutes or until meat is golden, mixing frequently.
- Add the chopped onions, turn the heat down to medium and cook for another 5 minutes (or until onions are tender).
- Add the 3 cups of water and mix. Cook on med/high heat for about 10 minutes (or until meat is tender).
- In a bowl combine ketchup, heavy whipping cream, flour, salt, pepper, and seasoning.
- Add ketchup mixture to pan and mix. Turn heat down to low and let the gravy simmer for about 5 minutes.