This Meaty Gravy is filled with savory flavors that go perfectly with mashed potatoes. This easy is perfect for a simple dinner.
Try this delicious Chicken Mushroom Gravy Recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I am pretty sure every Russian or Ukrainian grew up having podliva (gravy) on a regular basis. Our favorite was always with mashed potatoes and kotleti (meatballs). Though I prefer the Chicken and Mushroom gravy (cause I have a terrible love for mushrooms) but this simple gravy is a really nice because it’s really quick to make and the flavor is wow!.
When I make this gravy and we will not be having any other meat, I like to make thin strips as I have here in the pictures. My hubby has his “meat” and we just enjoy it with mashed potatoes and salad. If there is other meat then I cube the meat into small pieces so it’s not so chunky. This gravy can also be enjoyed with rice, buckwheat or even pasta.
how to make meaty gravy-
- Cut meat into thin strips. Finely chop into small pieces. (TIP: The thinner the meat is sliced the more tender and soft the meat will be. )
- In a deep pan, heat oil and once hot add in the meat strips.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then add chopped onions. Salt and pepper taste.
- Turn down the heat and cook for another five minutes.
- Add in three cups of water. Cook on medium/high heat for an additional 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine together ketchup, heavy whipping cream, flour, salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Add the mixture to the pan and mix.
- Turn the heat down and let the gravy simmer for an additional five minutes.
Try these other recipes with gravy:
- Vegetable Chicken Stroganoff– A light and healthy version of a classic Russian gravy.
- Chicken Marsala Gravy– Chunky chicken and mushrooms in a creamy marsala gravy.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole– An amazing chicken recipe with the creamiest gravy sauce.
- Asparagus Recipe– Delicious asparagus tossed in a creamy Alfredo sauce.
- Thinly slice the meat. Chop onion into small pieces.
- Use a deep pan and heat oil on med/high heat. Once the oil is hot, add meat strips. Cook 10 minutes, mixing frequently. (If you heat is rather low, cook on high heat. The meat should have a nice golden finish to it).
- Add the chopped onions, turn the heat down to medium and cook five minutes (or until onions are tender).
- Add the 3 cups water and mix. Cook on med/high heat about 10 minutes (or until meat is tender).
- In a bowl combine ketchup, heavy whipping cream, flour, salt, pepper, and seasoning.
- Add ketchup mixture to pan and mix. Turn heat down to low and let the gravy simmer for about 5 minutes.