Easy recipe for the classic Ukrainian Kotleti (Pork Patties). Juicy and tender ground pork and chicken with seasonings shaped into patties, breaded and fried. Though not your classic meatballs in sauce, these patties are a classic in the Slavic kitchen.
Ukrainian kotleti –
Growing up, my mom always made pork meatballs or what we call kotleti (meatballs). We had a large family and they were affordable and very easy to make and was such comfort food to us. The combination of ground pork with chicken with the seasonings, mayo and egg make for tender and juicy patties that are then breaded and fried. The kotleti are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
how to make kotleti (pork patties)-
I love that these kotleti are ready to be served in just under 30 minutes. It’s a great dinner to enjoy when you need a quick dinner or lunch.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the patties. Combine the ground pork and chicken, onion, mayo, egg, bread crumbs, garlic and seasonings until well incorporated.
- Shape the meat into uniform patties.
- Coat the kotleti generously in the bread crumbs.
- Fry patties until crispy on the outside and cooked on the inside.
- Enjoy, friends. 🙂
what to serve with kotleti (patties)-
Just like any other meat entree, the meatballs pair well with most sides. Here are some of the most popular sides we enjoy:
- SALAD: Enjoy with a classic Ukrainian cabbage salad or more Americanized salad.
- SIDE: Serve the patties with mashed potatoes, baked rice or even buttered noodles.
- BREAD: You can’t have kotleti without fresh Russian bread or dinner rolls.
If you’ve never tried this combination for meatballs, you are going to love the easy recipe. The juicy kotleti will become a favorite with the kids and adults alike. Please don’t forget to leave us your feedback in the comments below, we love hearing from you.
You’ll love these other Ukrainian dishes:
- Fried Meat Piroshki– The best meat piroshki recipe!
- Meaty Gravy– Hearty gravy with vegetables and meat.
- Potato Chicken & Mushroom Casserole– A simple casserole recipe!
Ukrainian Kotleti (Pork Patties)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 bread crumbs (plain or Italian)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Vegeta (Mrs. Dash or Lawry’s seasoning)
- 2 tsp milk
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, plain or Italian seasoned
- oil, for frying
- Add all of the ingredients for the patties into a mixing bowl. Grate onion on the smallest side of the protruding holes on the grater.
- Shape patties into oval like shapes. (If you work with wet hands, the meat will not stick to hands as they are shaped.)
- Add the ½ cup bread crumbs to a large bowl. Once patties are shaped, coat the patties in the bread crumbs.
- Cover the bottom of a large skillet or pan with oil. Once oil is hot, fry the patties 4-5 minutes per side over med/high heat until fully cooked inside.
- Enjoy, friends!
This post was originally published on June 2015 and updated with new photos in June 2019.