This recipe for Homemade Dinner Rolls turns out perfect every time. The buns are soft, light, and fluffy- the perfect dinner roll to complete any meal.
HOMEMADE DINNER ROLL recipe-
These soft dinner rolls are absolutely irresistible using ingredients you most likely always have in your pantry. The buns are not overly sweet and can be enjoyed as sweet rolls with jam and butter or savory rolls with dinner.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE DINNER ROLLS-
- Sift flour– Sift the flour and salt through a sieve and create a well in the center.
- Heat milk– Heat the milk and butter until warm, not hot. Pour the milk mixture into the well of the flour.
- Activate yeast– Add yeast and sugar, stir to combine, and allow the yeast to activate.
- Mix dough– Mix the dough until the flour is incorporated.
- Proof the bread– Cover the dough and set it aside to double in size.
SHAPE THE DINNER ROLLS-
- Roll-out– On a floured surface, roll the dough into a long strand and cut it into 15 equal parts.
- Shape– Shape the dough into dinner rolls.
- Rise rolls– Cover the pan and set it aside to double size.
- Bake rolls– Preheat the oven and bake the dinner rolls until golden brown in color.
- Brush tops– Remove buns from the oven and brush with butter.
Frequently Asked Questions-
Be sure to measure the flour correctly. Scoop the flour into the measuring cup with a spoon, and level the flour by brushing off any flour.
Sifting flour sifts out any lumps in the flour, and the flour mixes better into the remaining ingredients.
For the yeast to activate properly, be sure the milk mixture is warm, not HOT, reading about 105°F – 110°F with a food thermometer.
- Room Temp– Add dinner rolls to a bag and store them at room temperature for 3-5 days.
- Refrigerator- Keep in a storage bag refrigerated for 5-7 days, reheat before serving in the microwave for warm rolls.
- Freeze– Place the dinner rolls into a freezer bag and store for 2-3 months, thaw, and reheat before serving.
Since these fluffy dinner rolls aren’t overly sweet, they are extremely versatile and may accompany different meals as a side. Here are some of our favorites-
- Entree – A side to any entree, like the Pork Chops or Drumsticks.
- Salad – With a hearty salad to complete the meal, like the Grilled Chicken Salad and the Cobb Salad.
- Soup – Pair with a large bowl of soup like the Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup or our Zuppa Toscana.
- Sliders – You can use the dinner rolls and make our Buffalo Chicken or Philly Cheese Steak Sliders.
More Bread Recipes-
- Russian Bread Recipe
- Homemade Breadsticks
- Bread Machine Bread Recipe
- Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits
- Homemade Biscuits
Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Grease 9"x13" baking sheets and lightly dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, add flour and salt. In the center of the flour create well.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and butter, heat until warm then remove from heat.
- Pour milk mixture into the well and sprinkle the yeast over the water and sugar. Give a quick stir, cover and allow the yeast to activate, about 3 minutes.
- Mix dough until well incorporated. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky. Cover dough and set aside to rise for 2 hours in a warm area.
- Lightly dust working area with flour. Roll out a log and cut 15 equal parts.
- Shape the dough into round balls, cover rolls and let rise 30-45 minutes, until doubled.
- Bake dinner rolls on 375°F for 20-25 minutes, until golden in color. Allow rolls to slightly cool and generously butter top of rolls.