These Homemade Breadsticks are an Olive Garden copycat recipe but SO MUCH BETTER! Soft and fluffy breadsticks with a garlic butter crust that are absolutely irresistible!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Okay! Confession. I kind of really like all recipes from Olive Garden.
I mean, I have way too many copycat versions of their recipes on our site to prove it, ha! From the Shrimp and Chicken Carbonara to the popular Pasta Fagioli to the Chicken Scampi and you can’t forget the homemade Alfredo Sauce you can use with Fettuccine! BUT, these breadsticks are going to top all these recipes.
Just when you thought it wasn’t possible to enjoy breadsticks as much as Olive Garden’s recipe, we bring to you breadsticks that are even BETTER than Olive Garden! Soft, airy and fluffy breadsticks with garlic butter and herb crust, SO GOOD!
If you’ve ever felt intimidated to try breadsticks at home, once you try this recipe, you’re going to feel so accomplished. They are foolproof and so easy to make.
INGREDIENTS FOR BREADSTICKS-
I love this recipe so much because you most likely already have all of the ingredients needed for the breadsticks recipe in your pantry.
- FLOUR- Use a good quality all-purpose flour. Once you measure out the flour, sift the flour through a sieve.
- YEAST- We prefer active dry yeast for this recipe. Be sure your yeast activates and hasn’t gone bad or your breadsticks will not turn out.
- SALT- Takes out the blandness of plain bread.
- SUGAR- Adds just the right amount of sweetness to the breadstick so it doesn’t taste overly savory.
- BUTTER HERBS- We like to combine the garlic with melted butter and Italian herbs and generously spread over the breadsticks. The garlic butter adds so much flavor to the breadsticks. TIP- This step is optional, though highly recommended.
how to make breadsticks-
- Add the sifted flour to a large bowl (or your standup mixer bowl). Create a well in the center of the flour.
- Combine the melted butter, water and salt into the well. Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the water and gently stir. Allow the yeast to activate, it will become foamy.
- Mix everything until flour is well incorporated. Cover the dough and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Shape dough into twelve breadsticks and layout on a baking sheet, rise 30 minutes.
- Bake the breadsticks until golden in color.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the garlic butter.
- Once breadsticks are baked, generously spread with the butter spread.
Our kiddos don’t always LOVE the recipes we create. These breadsticks were a HUGE hit. As we were perfecting the recipe, we had the breadsticks on repeat and they always disappeared in minutes. Yes, they are that good!
How to Free Breadsticks?
Freeze breadsticks once cooled in a freezer bag. Completely thaw breadsticks and reheat for warm breadsticks. Breadsticks may be reheated in the oven, microwave or toaster oven.
OTHER BREAD RECIPES-
- Easy Dinner Rolls– Easiest dinner rolls recipe.
- Homemade Biscuits– So good with gravy.
- Italian Bread– With the most amazing dip.
- Everything Bagel Recipe– With so many topping options.
Homemade Breadsticks Recipe (Better than Olive Garden)
- In a large bowl, add the sifted flour and create a well in the center.
- Combine together the warm water, melted butter and salt. Pour mixture in the well.
- Sprinkle yeast and sugar over water, gently stir and allow yeast to activate (about 5 minutes).
- Mix the dough until well incorporated. Cover the dough and let rise for an hour.
- Shape twelve breadsticks and place onto a baking sheet. Allow to rise an additional 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 14-16 minutes, or until breadsticks are golden.
- Combine melted butter, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. With a pastry brush, generously brush the breadstick with the garlic butter.