This homemade creamy Chicken Carbonara Recipe is the ultimate pasta recipe. Chicken and shrimp smothered in a homemade carbonara sauce. This one-pan meal is perfect for busy evenings and ready in just 30 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
what is chicken carbonara?
Classic carbonara is made with eggs, cream and Parmesan. We put a little twist on the traditional recipe and you’d never know, it tastes just as wonderful!
This recipe is inspired by Olive Garden’s Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara. The homemade version is so much better and for a fraction of the price. The juicy chicken with shrimp and bacon make for a wonderful combination with the pasta and rich carbonara sauce.
how to make chicken carbonara?
- Cook pasta according to package instruction and set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the bacon. Remove from skillet and reserve 1 Tbsp grease.
- In the same skillet, cook the shrimp 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway, until shrimp is opaque and pink. Remove shrimp and add to the bacon. TIP: Be sure to remove the tail and devein shrimp before cooking.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the chicken coating. Cut chicken breasts in half and dredge in the coating.
- Sauté the chicken on both sides until crispy and fully cooked. Remove chicken from skillet.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onions with garlic and diced tomatoes. Stir in the half and half, broth and parmesan cheese. Stirring frequently, cook until sauce thickens.
- Cut the chicken into cubes or slice in strands. Add the chicken, bacon, and shrimp to the sauce. Stir and cook until reheated.
- Serve the chicken and shrimp carbonara over pasta, or, add the pasta to the skillet and stir until all is combined.
what kind of pasta can I use for carbonara?
Though we used spaghetti in this carbonara recipe, you can use your favorite pasta. Here are some options for pasta:
- Angel hair
how to store carbonara?
Store the leftover carbonara in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
how to reheat chicken pasta carbonara?
To reheat the carbonara, just add to a skillet and cook until reheated, stirring frequently. You may need to add a few tablespoons of half and half if the sauce is too thick.
This surprisingly easy carbonara is so quick to make. Not only is great for a quick dinner, but it’s also the perfect meal to make for a special occasion or if you are entertaining guests.
OTHER 30-MINUTE MEALS:
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo– With the best homemade sauce.
- Chicken Wrap– Good for lunch or dinner.
- Spaghetti and Meatballs– A favorite classic.
- Lemon Chicken– So good with mushrooms and green beans.
Chicken Carbonara Recipe
- 10 oz pasta
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts boneless skinless, halved (about 2 breasts)
- 8 oz bacon, chopped & cooked
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp
- 2 Tbsp reserved bacon grease, divided
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and cover to keep warm.
- Cut and cook the bacon, reserve 2 Tbsp of the bacon grease.
- In a skillet, cook the raw shrimp with 1 Tbsp butter until fully cooked. Remove from skillet.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the chicken coating.
- Cut the chicken breast in half. Fully dredge the 4 chicken fillets in the chicken coating.
- In the same skillet, fry the chicken fillets with 1 Tbsp bacon grease and 1 Tbsp butter until fully cooked. Remove chicken from skillet. Cut chicken into cubes or strips.
- In the same skillet, saute the finely chopped onion with 1 Tbsp grease and 1 Tbsp butter.
- Once the onion is tender add the minced garlic and cubed tomatoes. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, half and half, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper (to taste) to the skillet.
- Cook the sauce until the sauce thickens.
- Add the shrimp, bacon and chicken back to the carbonara sauce.
- Serve over pasta or mix the cooked pasta into the sauce. If serving over pasta, be sure pasta is reheated.