This hearty and creamy Rasta Pasta Recipe is that perfect easy pasta dinner recipe! Tender pasta, bell peppers, and jerk seasoned chicken tossed in a creamy sauce, so easy yet so delicious.
RASTA PASTA RECIPE-
What is Rasta Pasta Made of? Rasta pasta is a Caribbean Jamaican-inspired dish that is made with peppers, jerk seasoning, and pasta in a rich cream.
The flavors from the jerk seasoning give this pasta dish a smoky yet sweet taste. Pasta, bell peppers, and sliced chicken combined with a creamy and flavor-packed alfredo sauce, is such an easy and delicious dish.
What is Jerk Seasoning?
Jerk seasoning is a seasoning blend of allspice, thyme, nutmeg, onions, bonnet peppers, and a hint of brown sugar. This blend is such a unique combination of flavors, a kick of spicy and sweet and smoky, so good!
INGREDIENTS FOR RASTA PASTA-
This pasta comes together quickly so be sure to have everything ready to enjoy dinner once it is cooked.
- Pasta – we used penne pasta but you can use any of your favorite small pastas.
- Chicken – boneless skinless chicken breast work great. (Leftover Air Fryer Chicken or Rotisserie Chicken are great substitutes.)
- Jerk seasoning – we use THIS store-bought jerk spice.
- Bell pepper – mix up the peppers with whatever you have on hand; green bell peppers, yellow peppers, orange or red peppers.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic cloves for flavor, you can substitute for powder!
- Butter– be sure the butter is unsalted.
- Broth– chicken broth or vegetable broth may be used.
- Heavy cream – adds so much creaminess to the sauce.
- Parmesan cheese– freshly grated parmesan or pre grated parmesan cheese will work great in this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE RASTA PASTA-
- Cook Pasta– Cook the pasta al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and cover to keep warm, set aside.
- Saute Chicken– In a deep skillet, season the chicken breast with jerk seasoning and saute until fully cooked.
- Saute Peppers- Cook the sliced peppers until tender, add the garlic and butter and cook until fragrant.
- Pasta Sauce– Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, Jerk seasoning, and parmesan cheese and cook over medium heat.
- Combine – Slice the chicken breast into thin pieces and add the chicken and pasta back to the skillet and mix to combine.
- Serve– Garnish with more parmesan cheese and chopped greens.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, you can substitute the chicken for sausage, shrimp and you can just keep it with just veggies.
You can use any small pasta such as bow-tie pasta, elbow pasta, rigatoni, and rotini pasta!
You can add onions, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, and even jalapenos for a spicy kick.
Store the pasta dish in an airtight container covered in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Yes, you can freeze the pasta in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, and reheat in a skillet. Add a splash of heavy whipping cream and cheese if pasta is dry.
To reheat, add the skillet with a splash of heavy whipping cream so the sauce is not so dry!
The internal temperature of a cooked-through chicken breast should read 165°F.
MORE PASTA DINNERS-
You cannot go wrong with pasta for dinner, even the picky eaters approve. Here are some of our favorite pasta dinner recipes:
Rasta Pasta Recipe (with Jerk seasoning)
- Cook the pasta, al dente, according to package instructions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Season the chicken breast with 1 Tbsp of jerk seasoning.
- In a deep skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium high heat and sear the chicken breast on each side (2 min) then turn the heat down to low and cook until fully cooked through (6-8 min).
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, cover to keep warm and set aside. In the same skillet add 1 Tbsp oil and the sliced peppers, cook until tender.
- Add the butter and garlic to the skillet and saute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, parmesan cheese and remaining 1½ Tbsp jerk seasoning, stir and bring to a light simmer.
- Once the sauce thickens, add the cooked pasta. Slice chicken into strand or cube and add to pasta and mix until combined.
- Top with grated parmesan, serve and enjoy!