Baked Ziti with ricotta is true comfort food. Ziti pasta loaded with ground meat, marinara, and ricotta and topped with cheese. It’s a baked casserole recipe loved by kids and adults alike.
Baked Ziti With Ricotta Video-
Watch Valentina make the easy baked ziti with ricotta recipe! Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel so you don’t miss any video recipes.
Baked Ziti Recipe-
Baked ziti pasta is a popular Italian-American dish made with ziti pasta, a meaty tomato sauce and loaded with cheese. This dish is like taking a classic lasagna recipe recipe and saucy bolognese and combining the two.
How to Make Baked Ziti-
A baked casserole doesn’t get any easier than this one!
- Cook pasta– Cook the pasta al dente!
- Brown meat– Saute the meat with onions. Add the garlic and season.
- Add marinara– Stir in the marina and tomatoes.
- Combine– Add the cooked pasta to the meat sauce.
- Casserole dish– Transfer half the mixture to the casserole dish. Spread half of the ricotta cheese, then add half the mozzarella and parmesan. Repeat with the second layer.
- Bake– Cover the dish with foil. Bake the ziti and enjoy.
Frequently asked questions-
Yes, definitely. Cubed bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms or zucchini will all work great. Just add when sautéing the meat.
Italian sausage, turkey or chicken will all work great instead of the beef. You’ll want to just season to taste.
We used the classic ziti for the recipe but you can substitute for penne or rigatoni.
You can substitute for the ricotta with small curd cottage cheese.
This is a great dish to make ahead. Completely make the recipe up to 2 days in advance. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Then, just bake per instruction.
- How long will it last? Once baked, refrigerate in an airtight container, the ziti will last 4 days. Reheat to serve.
- Freezing baked ziti– To freeze the baked ziti, you’ll want to prepare per instruction but do not bake. Cover tightly and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake per instructions.
More Pasta Recipes to Try-
- Chicken Carbonara
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Lasagna Recipe
- Broccoli Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
Baked Ziti Recipe (with Ricotta)
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package instructions.
- Add ground beef and onion into a large skillet. Over medium-high heat, brown meat, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the meat is mostly cooked, add garlic and seasoning.
- Add the marinara sauce and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a light simmer, and then add in the pasta.
- Into a 9×13 casserole dish, pour a layer of the pasta mixture. Add half the ricotta in an even layer. Then sprinkle half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Add the remaining pasta and finish with a layer of the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven at 350°F for 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.
- Serve, and enjoy friends!
- Pasta: Boil pasta to Al dente for the best texture.
- Refrigerate: Store leftovers for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: Assemble the pasta in a freezer-safe dish, and don’t bake. Freeze and store for up to 2 months. When you are ready to cook, thaw overnight in the fridge and bake as usual.