Easy recipe for Zuppa Toscana Soup, ready in under 30 minutes. This CopyCat Zuppa Toscana Soup from Olive Garden is loaded with sausage, potatoes and kale in a creamy broth! Even the picky eaters will approve!
Hearty and filling creamy soup, a CopyCat version of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana Soup. It’s loaded with potatoes, sausage, vegetables and kale in a rich and creamy broth. The soup is ready in under 30 minutes and the perfect comfort food for cold days.
How to Make Zuppa Toscana Soup?
- In a Dutch oven or pot, bring water and broth to a boil.
- Add potatoes and seasonings, cook until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage, breaking up the meat as it’s cooked.
- Add onion, sauté until tender. Add carrots, cook until carrots are tender, add minced garlic.
- Once potatoes are cooked, transfer ingredients from skillet to Dutch oven.
- Add kale and heavy whipping cream. Cook 5 minutes on low/medium heat.
- Add additional seasonings, if needed.
What can I substitute for kale?
If you don’t like the texture of kale or cannot find it in your area, substitute it for chopped spinach. It will work wonderfully.
How to make Zuppa Toscana spicy?
If you like a spicier soup, use Hot Italian sausage instead of the mild indicated. Add ground Cayenne pepper or Pepper flakes, to taste for additional spiciness.
Healthy Zuppa Toscana-
For a lighter and healthier version of the classic Italian soup, substitute the heavy whipping cream for milk. I’ve experimented with almond milk and coconut milk and both worked as a substitute. You may need to slightly adjust the seasonings according to personal preference.
Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana-
It’s so easy to convert this creamy and hearty Olive Garden copycat soup to be prepared in a slow cooker. How to make Zuppa Toscana in a Slow Cooker:
- In a skillet, brown the sausage with onions and carrots. Transfer to slow cooker (crockpot).
- Add remaining ingredients minus the cream and kale to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Secure lid and cook on high 3-4 hours, or for 6-7 hours on low. Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream and kale, stir to combine. Cook an additional 30-40 minutes, until kale is desired tenderness. Enjoy!
Try these other SOUP Recipes:
- Pasta Fagioli Recipe– Another Olive Garden CopyKat soup recipe.
- Chicken Potato Tortellini Soup– Unexpected healthy soup with Tortellini.
- Italian Sausage Orzo Soup– The zucchini is amazing in this soup.
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups water
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 pounds potatoes (5-6 potatoes), diced
- 3 cups packed chopped kale, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper or pepper flakes, to taste, optional
In a Dutch oven or pot, bring water and broth to a boil. Add diced potatoes and seasonings, cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over high heat, brown sausage, breaking up the meat as it’s cooked.
Add onions, sauté until tender. Add carrots, cook until tender, stirring as needed. Add minced garlic. Turn off heat.
Once potatoes are tender, transfer ingredients from skillet to Dutch oven.
Add kale and heavy whipping cream, cook an additional 5 minutes over med heat.
Add additional seasonings, if desired.