Soup is a pretty simple thing to throw together on any day. This meatball and rice soup is good soup to add to the list of soups. It is a combination of meatballs, vegetables, potatoes, rice and spices that mix together into a perfect bowl soup that you will love!
We love soups. They are probably one of the most affordable meals to prepare. A few weeks ago the area we live in was hit with a tornado. Streets were closed, power was out and many homes were damaged. We were one of the homes that lost our electricity and had light damage outside. I, however, am so grateful that we were all inside and none of the children got hurt. It came so quickly and only God knows what could have happened would we have been outside playing as we usually are during the summer. It’s in times like these we become thankful for simple things as clean water and electricity, the things we kind of take for granted. I couldn’t cook, had no lights or water for two days. Those two days felt like two months. I can’t help but think of all those women that live in small villages in poor countries where they live like that all the time. Lord, I am so thankful I live in the United States and forgive me Lord if I ever take things for granted!
Anyhow, back to this soup. While we were trying to clean and work on the basement, soups were what we had pretty often. They are so simple to throw together, filling and healthy. This happens to be a favorite of my husbands and I just love preparing it because I know he will be satisfied and happy when he enjoys it. Ladies, do you ever cook food and get excited to see the smile on your hubby’s face because it’s a favorite meal of his, I sure do. You can use any meat for this soup and don’t have to make meatballs out of it. However, I love the flavors of the meatballs, rice, potatoes, veggies and herbs in this soup. Everything balances each other and it’s rather yummy, feels light yet very filling.
how to make meatball rice soup-
- Bring water to a boil.
- Cube potatoes. Rinse potatoes and rice.
- Once the water boils, add potatoes and rice cook for 15 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs. Shape the meatballs and add to pot.
- Cook soup for an additional 10-12 minutes.
- Shred the tomatoes, chop the onions and shred carrots.
- In a skillet, saute onion and carrots with oil.
- Add the tomatoes, ketchup and sour cream to the skillet. Add the vegetable mixture to the pot.
- Season the soup to taste and top with chopped herbs.
try these other soup recipes:
Meatball and Rice Soup
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, ⅓ tsp pepper, ⅓ tsp Vegeta*
- 14 cups water
- 6-8 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup long grain rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 1 large cooking onion, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3 Tbsp oil ( I use Canola)
- 1 medium tomato
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 ½ Tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Vegeta*
- ½ tsp pepper
- Fresh herbs
- Add 14 cups water to a large pot on high heat.
- Cube potatoes. Rinse rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
- When water comes to a boil; add the potatoes and rice. Cook 15 minutes over high heat. Remove anything that floats to the top (white starch from potatoes).
- Mix all of the ingredients for the meatballs; shape into about 24-28 meatballs. Add to pot. Cook about 10-12 minutes. (Until rice and potatoes are be just about ready).
- Remove skin from tomato. I just make two slashes on top, put the tomato in a cup and pour hot water over it. Give it about a minute and the skin will peel off. Shred tomato, set aside.
- Chop onion and shred carrots; add to a large skillet with 3 Tbsp oil. Sauté on med/high heat until soft (about 8 minutes).
- Add tomato, ketchup and sour cream to skillet. Let it cook on med heat for another minute. Add to pot.
- Add the rest of the seasoning (add additional seasoning to taste if necessary). Add your favorite chopped herbs (fresh or frozen). Cook another few minutes (just until potatoes and rice and completely cooked.)