This hearty Beef and Cabbage Soup is that perfect bowl of soup! Seasoned tender beef chunks with fresh cabbage, potatoes, onions, and carrots in a seasoned soup base.
There is nothing that says comfort food more than a bowl of soup. We enjoy soup at least once a week and so we have a whole category of our favorite soup recipes.
BEEF CABBAGE SOUP-
It’s surprising how much flavor this soup has since it uses such minimal ingredients! If you’ve never tried seasoned meat, this will be a game-changer for soups. The meat is so tender and juicy and has so much flavor. Add the cabbage, vegetables, and broth to the meat and you have yourself an epic bowl of soup.
- WATER– We use water and get the flavors from the meat and veggies but you can use half water and half broth for extra flavors! You can use beef broth, chicken broth or vegetable broth as the liquid!
- PROTEIN– You can use any kind of beef such as; sirloin, stew, or any of your favorite cuts of beef. You can also substitute it for chicken, pork or opt out of meat completely. We like to season our meat with salt, pepper, garlic and bay leaves and allow it to marinate for a couple hours (or a couple days in advance) for the BEST soup results.
- POTATOES– You can use Idaho (Russett) potatoes or even red potatoes, just make sure they are all cut in similar sizes for even cooking.
- CABBAGE– Use green cabbage for the soup. You can either shred or cube the cabbage.
- CARROTS– We like to shred the carrots but you can also slice or cube them.
- ONION– Finely chopped onion for flavour!
- TOMATOES– Finely chopped tomatoes work great for this soup. We used fresh tomatoes but you can substitute for canned.
- KETCHUP & SOUR CREAM– The sour cream and ketchup levels up the soup with flavor.
- GARLIC– For the best flavors, use freshly minced garlic. If you don’t have any fresh garlic, garlic powder will work as well.
- OLIVE OIL– Saute the vegetables on olive oil or canola oil.
- SEASONING– We use salt, pepper and bay leaves but you can also add any of your favorite seasonings. We LOVE to add Vegeta to our soups – SO GOOD!
- HERBS– You can use fresh parsley, cilantro, dill, or combine all 3. You can also use dried parsley or dried oregano.
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SOUP-
- SEASON MEAT– Cut the meat into even-sized chunks. Add the salt, pepper, sliced garlic and crushed bay leaves, mix and allow to marinade for up to 2 days.
- COOK MEAT- In a Dutch oven (or pot with a thick bottom), bring water to a soft boil over medium heat on the stove top. Rinse the seasoned meat and add to the boiling water and cook for about 30 – 40 minutes over medium heat.
- SAUTE VEGGIES– Meanwhile prepare the veggies. In a skillet saute the onion. Once tender, add in the shredded carrots. Add the tomatoes, sour cream and ketchup to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat.
- COMBINE– Add the potatoes to the water. Add the salt and pepper and cook over medium high heat until potatoes are almost fully cooked.
- Add in the cabbage and cook until the cabbage is tender. Then add the sauteed vegetable mixture, seasonings, add fresh herbs and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve and ENJOY.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Ground beef will work in this recipe.
Yes, you can use chicken or pork.
You can reheat in a saucepan or microwave a bowl of soup. I don’t like to reheat the whole pot, just the amount I need.
Store the soup in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
Yes, just take out the meat for a hearty vegetarian soup!
MORE SOUPS TO TRY-
Beef and Cabbage Soup
- 1 lb beef (sirloin, stew or your fav), cut into bite-sized pieces
Seasoning the Meat-
- Cube meat into bite-size pieces. Season with the salt and pepper. Slice garlic and add to meat. Break up a bay leaf, add to meat. Mix everything and refrigerate for at least one day (up to 5 days).
- Bring water to a boil. Rinse seasoned meat (just to get the bay leaf and garlic off). Add the meat to boiling water and boil for 35-40 minutes on medium/high heat until meat is tender.
- Chop onion finely. Shred carrot.
- Saute onion with 2 tsp oil until onion is soft (about 5 minutes). Add shredded carrots and 3 tsp oil, saute until carrots are soft (about 6 minutes).
- Remove skin from tomatoes, chop and add to vegetables, mix. Add the ketchup and sour cream, mix and turn off heat. Let it simmer about a minute and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Cube potatoes and add to bowl, pour cold water over potatoes until ready to use.
- Shred cabbage, set aside.
- Once meat is tender, drain the potatoes and add to the meat. Add the 2 tsp salt, 1/4 pepper. Cook 10 minutes on med/high heat.
- Add the cabbage to the pot. Cook another 10-15 minutes (until potatoes are cooked). Add the sauteed vegetable from pan, add fresh herbs. Allow soup to cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Enjoy with sour cream.