This hearty Split Pea Soup recipe is the ultimate comfort food! Chicken with vegetables and split peas cooked in a flavorful-packed broth.
SPLIT PEA SOUP-
This amazing split pea soup recipe is all you need for the cooler weather! Tender chicken chunks combined with vegetables, potatoes and split peas. Just like the popular Russian Soup and the Potato Soup, this recipe will quickly become a favorite.
We love serving the pea soup with fresh Homemade Bread.
HOW TO MAKE SPLIT PEA SOUP-
- Cook chicken– In Dutch oven, heat oil and saute the chicken until fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Saute vegetables– Add onions, carrots, celery, and minced garlic to the pot and saute until veggies are tender and cooked.
- Simmer split peas– Pour the chicken broth and split peas (rinsed and picked over) into the pot and simmer for about 35-40 minutes.
- Add potatoes– Return the chicken, add the cubed potatoes and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Herbs– Add your favorite fresh chopped herbs and enjoy the soup.
HOW TO MAKE SOUP AHEAD ?
- Prep– You can easily prep in advance by sauteing the chicken and vegetables up to 2 days in advance. Then, just continue with the soup.
- Store– You can also prepare the entire soup in advance and keep refrigerated tightly covered for up to 3 days. The soup will thicken as it sits and may need thinned with water when reheating.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE CHICKEN?
Instead of the chicken, you can use ham. Just add the chopped ham in with the potatoes.
More SOUPS to try-
If you love soups, I hope you’ll give these family favorites a try: