An amazing and EASY Crockpot Potato Soup recipe! The soup is creamy and chunky and so flavorful! It’s that perfect bowl of creamy soup for any occasion.
This recipe is a slow cooker version of our popular classic Potato Soup!
SLOW COOKER POTATO SOUP-
Throw everything into the slow cooker and allow the crockpot to do the work! This is such a great recipe to make during busy days, especially workdays. Just add everything in before work and then come home, finish up and serve!
A creamy soup base with chunky potatoes combined with the bacon bits and cheese is absolutely delicious!
This recipe can easily be made using an Instant Pot, full recipe HERE.
This creamy slow cooker soup recipe needs just a few simple ingredients, and you can have the soup ready to cook in no time!
- Potatoes – any potatoes you have on hand will work! You can use russet potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, and even red potatoes.
- Bacon – chopped cooked bacon is used for this soup. We love cooking our bacon with THIS method.
- Onion – finely chopped cooking onion!
- Garlic – adds flavor!
- Broth – chicken broth or vegetable broth will work great!
- Seasoning – salt and pepper is the classic seasoning! You can also add any of your favorite go-to seasonings!
- Butter – unsalted butter is what gives this soup it’s buttery creaminess.
- Flour – all-purpose flour is the thickening agent.
- Milk – the base of the soup is the milk, we use whole milk for this recipe.
- Cheese – any shredded cheese you have on hand will work! Mild cheddar cheese, colby jack, sharp cheddar cheese, or mexican blend will work great.
- Sour cream – adds creaminess.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT POTATO SOUP-
This recipe takes almost no work, the crockpot does all the work for you! That is why we love this recipe, it is so simple and so delicious.
- Prep: Finely chop your onion and peel and cube the potatoes.
- Crockpot: Add the cubed potatoes, broth, bacon, minced garlic, chopped onion, salt and pepper to the crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6.
- Mash potatoes: Be sure that your potatoes have cooked through and easily pierce through with a fork. Mash the potatoes to the desired consistency. Tip: We like our soup with potato chunks so we puree half of the soup and keep the rest whole.
- Add rest of ingredients: Add in the butter, flour, milk, shredded cheese, and sour cream and mix until well combined.
- Cook: Slow cook for an additional 30 minutes on high or 1 hour on low, until the soup is creamy and thick.
- Serve: Top with desired toppings and serve!
CREAMY POTATO SOUP TOPPINGS-
The key to the perfect bowl of soup is the toppings that you add to it! Here are some of our favorite soup add-ins:
- Shredded cheese
- Bacon bits
- Chopped ham
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Green onions
- Crushed crackers
- Sour cream
- Store– place leftover soup in a container and refrigerate 3 – 4 days.
- Freeze– We do not recommend freezing this soup.
- Reheat– Reheat in a crockpot on high until warmed.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes! Just peel, cube, completely cover with cold water, and refrigerate.
No, you do not. You can leave the potatoes whole or just mash half of them for a chunkier soup.
You sure can, just add the frozen hashbrowns instead of fresh potatoes and continue with the recipe. You don’t have to thaw the potatoes.
OTHER SOUP RECIPES-
We share so many soup recipes in our Soup Roundup, here are some of our current favorites:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Split Pea Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle
- Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
Easy Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs large potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1-inch cubes (4 potatoes)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz bacon bite-sized pieces, cooked
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup mild or sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- green onions to serve
- Add the cubed potatoes, broth, bacon, chopped onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper to the crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through mash them to desired consistency.
- Add the butter, flour, milk, shredded cheese, and sour cream into the slow cooker and mix until well combined.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes on high or 1 hour on low, until the soup is creamy and thick.
- Top with desired toppings and serve!