This hearty and creamy Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe is ready in under 30 minutes and is inspired by our popular Easy Potato Soup!
The homemade rich and creamy soup is loaded with potatoes, bacon and cheese – so delicious.
INSTANT POT POTATO SOUP RECIPE-
There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of this hearty and creamy potato soup. Potatoes, with onions, bacon, and shredded cheese in a thick and creamy soup base, so delicious!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can have this instant pot loaded potato soup ready in no time!
- Potatoes – just about any potato will work for this recipe.
- Butter – unsalted butter adds creaminess and is used to saute the onions.
- Onion – finely chopped medium onion will work great.
- Garlic – minced garlic cloves for flavor!
- Flour – all-purpose flour may be used to thicken the soup.
- Milk – whole milk to give this soup it’s creamy base.
- Broth – chicken broth or vegetable broth, keeps the consistency smooth.
- Shredded cheese – any shredded cheese you have on hand will work! Mild cheddar cheese, colby jack, or mexican blend will work great.
- Sour cream – sour cream adds creaminess!
- Seasoning – we just used salt and pepper as the spices, but you can also add your favorite.
HOW to MAKE INSTANT POT POTATO SOUP-
- Saute– Turn on the instant pot to saute mode and add the butter and chopped onion into the instant pot and saute until the onion is tender. Add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Cook potatoes– Add in the cubed potatoes, milk and chicken broth to the instant pot and close the lid and pressure cook for 8 minutes, then quickly release the pressure.
- Slurry– Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together the milk, sour cream, flour, salt and pepper.
- Combine– Once the steam has released, open the lid and mash the potatoes to desired consistency. Add in the slurry mixture and mix until combined.
- Saute– Turn the instant pot back to saute setting and saute for about 3-4 minutes or until the soup begins to bubble.
- Serve– Mix in the shredded cheese. Serve in your favorite bowls and serve with your favorite toppings.
POTATO SOUP TOPPINGS-
Don’t be shy with your potato soup toppings! Just like a loaded baked potato, you can load your soup with toppings such as:
- Shredded cheese
- Bacon bits
- Chopped ham
- Green onion
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
WHAT POTATOES WORK BEST FOR POTATO SOUP?
For this instant pot soup recipe, you can use your favorite potatoes that you have on hand. You can use Russet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or Idaho potatoes. We highly recommended peeling the potatoes.
CAN I ADD MEAT TO THE SOUP?
STORING & FREEZING-
- Store: Store leftover soup in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days.
- Heat: To reheat this soup just reheat over the stovetop or in the microwave until warm.
- Freeze: We do not recommend freezing this soup.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
You can use our classic Potato Soup recipe if you do not have an instant pot.
Yes, if you do not add bacon, this soup can easily be vegetarian!
No, you do not. You can leave the potatoes whole or just blend half of them.
Make this instant potato baked soup dairy-free and use hemp, soy, or almond milk where milk and sour cream are used. The cheese may be left out or a vegan cheese used.
OTHER SOUP RECIPES-
We have a whole round-up of our favorite soups HERE, but there are by far the most popular right now:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Beef & Cabbage Soup
- Chili Recipe
- Creamy Tomato Basil
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe (Loaded Potato)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lb potatoes, cubed
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese**
- Turn on the instant pot to saute mode and add the butter and chopped onion into the instant pot and saute until the onion is tender. Add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add in the cubed potatoes, milk and chicken broth to the instant pot and close the lid and pressure cook for 8 minutes, then quickly release the pressure.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine milk, sour cream, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Once the steam has released, open the lid and mash the potatoes to desired consistency. Add in the slurry mixture and mix until combined.
- Turn the instant pot back to saute mode and saute for about 3-4 minutes or until the soup begins to bubble.
- Mix in the shredded cheese. Serve in your favorite bowls and serve with your favorite toppings.