This hearty and creamy Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe is ready in under 30 minutes and is inspired by our popular easy potato soup!
The homemade rich and creamy soup is loaded with potatoes, bacon, and cheese – so delicious.
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe:
There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of this hearty and creamy potato soup. Potatoes with onions, bacon, and shredded cheese in a thick and creamy soup base are so delicious!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can have this instant pot-loaded potato soup ready in no time!
- Potatoes – just about any potato will work for this recipe.
- Butter – unsalted butter adds creaminess and is used to saute the onions.
- Onion – finely chopped medium onion will work great.
- Garlic – minced garlic cloves for flavor!
- Seasoning – we used salt and pepper as the spices, but you can also add your favorite.
- Broth – chicken broth or vegetable broth keeps the consistency smooth.
- Half and half – the half and half give the soup gives the soup its creamy base but isn’t overly heavy.
- Flour – all-purpose flour may be used to thicken the soup.
- Shredded cheese – any shredded cheese you have on hand will work! Mild cheddar cheese, Colby jack, or a Mexican blend will work great.
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Soup:
- Saute– Turn on the instant pot to saute mode. Add the butter and chopped onion into the instant pot, and saute until the onion is tender. Add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Cook potatoes– Add the cubed potatoes, broth, salt, and pepper to the instant pot, close the lid, and pressure cook for 8 minutes, then quickly release the pressure.
- Slurry– In a bowl, stir the half and half with the flour.
- Combine– Once the steam has been released, open the lid and mash the potatoes to the desired consistency. Add in the slurry mixture and cheese and mix until combined.
- Saute– Turn the instant pot back to the saute setting and saute for about 1-2 minutes or until the soup begins to bubble.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Potato Soup Toppings:
Don’t be shy with your potato soup toppings! Just like a loaded baked potato, you can load your soup with toppings such as:
- Shredded cheese
- Bacon bits
- Chopped ham
- Green onion
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
What Potatoes Are Best?
For this instant pot soup recipe, you can use your favorite potatoes that you have on hand. You can use Russet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or Idaho potatoes. We highly recommend peeling the potatoes.
Can I Add Meat to the Soup?
Storing & Freezing:
- Store: Store leftover soup in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days.
- Heat: To reheat this soup just reheat over the stovetop or in the microwave until warm.
- Freeze: We do not recommend freezing this soup.
Frequently Asked Questions –
You can use our classic Potato Soup recipe if you do not have an instant pot.
Yes, if you do not add bacon, this soup can easily be vegetarian!
No, you do not. You can leave the potatoes whole or just blend half of them.
Make this instant potato baked soup dairy-free and use hemp, soy, or almond milk where milk and sour cream are used. The cheese may be left out or a vegan cheese used.
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe (Loaded Potato)
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese**
- Turn on the instant pot to saute mode and add the butter and chopped onion into the instant pot and saute until the onion is tender. Add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the cubed potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper to the instant pot and close the lid and pressure cook for 8 minutes, then quickly release the pressure.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together the half and half with flour for the slurry.
- Once the steam has released, open the lid and mash the potatoes to desired consistency. Add in the slurry mixture and shredded cheese and stir until combined.
- Turn the instant pot back to saute mode and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until the soup begins to bubble.
- Serve and Enjoy!