This creamy, EASY Potato Soup Recipe is amazing!! The soup is loaded with potatoes in a creamy base, ready in 30 minutes! It’s incredibly similar to our cheesy ham and potato soup and just as delicious.
potato soup recipe-
This potato soup is pure comfort food and made completely from scratch (and you skip the heavy whipping cream). The base of the soup is so creamy and filling, and it’s loaded with chunky potatoes, bacon, cheese, and LOTS of cheese.
I love that this use uses ingredients you probably already have at home, and the soup can be made quickly. The soup can be made in just 30 minutes, making for the perfect meal on busy evenings.
how to make an easy potato soup-
- Cube potatoes. In a large pot (or Dutch oven), add the cubed potatoes and cover with water, season with salt, and cook until the potatoes are tender; drain the potatoes and keep warm. TIP: You can keep the skin on the potatoes if you like.
- Meanwhile, cook your meat! Sauté the bacon until desired crispiness and remove from the Dutch oven; reserve about 1 Tbsp. TIP: You can substitute for cubed ham and skip the sautéing.
- Prepare the cream. Finely cube the onion, add to the reserved grease with butter, and sauté until soft. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Vigorously whisk in the flour and slowly pour in the milk and broth, stirring until smooth.
- Add the cooked and drained potatoes to the soup, and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the cream comes to a soft boil, stir in the sour cream, bacon, and cheese. Bring to a boil again and remove from heat.
what toppings are good for potato soup?
You can easily top the creamy potato soup with your favorite toppings, just think of a loaded baked potato. All the amazing toppings you can load onto a baked potato, you can add to the soup, and more. Here are some topping options for the soup:
- shredded cheese (milk cheddar or any other cheese you like)
- bacon bits
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- green onions
- avocado cubes
You can add all the toppings to bowls and serve it buffet style on the table allowing your family members to personalize their individual bowls to their taste. The kids love this part.
You are in for a treat with this homemade soup. A rich and creamy soup base with chunks of potatoes, bacon bits and loaded with cheese – so much flavor in every bite.
try these other great soup recipes:
Easy Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 oz bacon bite-sized pieces
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 med onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup mild or sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- green onions to serve
- Peel and cube the potatoes into small pieces. Add the potatoes into a pot and cover with water. Season with salt and cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes can be pierced through easily. Drain and set aside.
- Cube the bacon and sauté in a Dutch oven until crispy. Once cooked remove from Dutch oven and leave 1 Tbsp of bacon grease.
- Add butter and chopped onions into the Dutch oven, sauté until onions are tender. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Whisk in flour until incorporated. Add in the milk and chicken broth and bring to a soft boil.
- Add the potatoes and season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the sour cream, shredded cheese and cooked bacon. Bring the potato soup to a boil and remove from heat.
- Serve this easy potato soup with your favorite toppings.
NOTE: Recipe developed by Valentina’s Corner and first published on Natasha’s Kitchen.