This rich and creamy ham and potato soup loaded with veggies is sure to become a favorite. Carrots, celery, onion with potatoes and ham in a rich and creamy broth – so good.
Soups are regularly on the menu like this recipe and our Chicken and Gnocchi Soup and the Creamy Mushroom Soup.
Ham and Potato Soup Recipe-
We have soup twice a week and have so many Soup Recipes! This potato ham soup joins the collection and is a must-try! The vegetables combined with the potatoes and ham complement each other and the creamy seasoned broth completes the soup, the taste truly is remarkable.
What you’ll need:
The ingredients for potato and ham soup and so simple. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter- unsalted butter.
- Vegetables- onions, celery, and carrots are the vegetables added.
- Garlic- fresh garlic adds so much flavor.
- Potatoes- Your favorite potato will work in this recipe.
- Broth- we used chicken broth in the recipe but vegetable broth may be used.
- Seasoning- for the seasoning all you need is salt and pepper.
- Milk- whole milk will add creaminess.
- Flour- all-purpose flour is the thickening agent in the soup.
- Ham- deli ham or ham leftovers may be used.
- Saute vegetables: In a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium heat, add the butter, onion, celery, and carrots. Cook the vegetables until tender, this will take about five minutes.
- Add garlic: in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. We just need the garlic to get fragrant.
- Add potatoes: Add the potatoes, broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Make slurry: In a bowl, whisk together the milk and flour until the flour is dissolved. Add to the pot and add the ham and stir well.
- Cook: Bring to a soft boil and cook for 5 minutes at a simmer (at medium-low heat) or until the ham is heated and the potatoes are fully tender.
- Serve and Enjoy!
|Chef’s note: Serve the soup with sour cream, shredded cheese or scallions, or your favorite freshly chopped herbs.|
Variation & Substitutions:
This soup is great as is, here are some variations and add-ins you can add:
- Other veggies: Add other veggies like broccoli florets, sweet peas, corn, or green beans.
- Richer cream: For a richer cream, add heavy cream instead of the milk and leave out the flour.
- Add bacon: You can add cooked bacon when adding the ham for added flavor if desired.
- Leave out ham: For a classic potato soup, use our Potato Soup Recipe.
- Add cheese: For a cheesy soup, add shredded cheddar cheese over low heat when adding the roux and ham.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Classic potatoes like Idaho and Russet potatoes are a great option. However, Yukon gold potatoes and red potatoes may also be used.
If you’ll be using Idaho or Russet potatoes, we recommend peeling the potatoes. If you are using Yukon gold or red potatoes, clean the skin well and leave it on the skin.
For a lighter soup, use 2% milk or soy milk and leave out the flour.
Off-the-bone ham, Bavarian ham, ham bone, or even any leftover ham you have will work great in this recipe.
We like the chunks in the potato soup, but if you want to have more of a pureed soup, use an immersion blender (or potato masher) and puree the soup and veggies before adding the ham.
Storing & Freezing:
This soup is a great make-ahead soup recipe and may be enjoyed for days!
- Fridge: Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Allow the soup to completely cool then store it in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat over low heat.
- Reheat: To reheat the soup, cook over low heat on the stovetop until reheated or in the microwave.
More Soup Recipes:
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 celery stick diced
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 Idaho potatoes cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pounds cooked ham 2 cups, cubed
- Add butter, onion, celery and carrots to a pot or Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, broth, salt and pepper. Cook until the potatoes are almost tender, 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and flour, add to the pot, add the ham and cook until the soup thickens, about 5 minutes.