An amazing classic Italian Sub Sandwich recipe made with fresh ingredients and drizzled with our homemade Italian Dressing.
The sub is loaded with sliced meats, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and dressing. This is the ULTIMATE sandwich recipe.
What is an Italian Sub Sandwich?
An Italian sub sandwich is loaded with all of your favorite sandwich fixings. Freshly baked hoagie roll with deli meats, fresh vegetables, cheese and the homemade Italian dressing.
The “secret” to the BEST Italian sub sandwich is toasting your roll. It gives the sandwich restaurant quality.
|If you enjoy serving food charcuterie style, you can serve the Italian Sub that way for parties! Slice and prep all the ingredients. Arrange on a large board allowing guests to make their own sandwich.|
SUB SANDWICH INGREDIENTS-
I love that the sub sandwich uses staple kitchen ingredients but you can add or substitute to your personal tastes with the same results.
- BREAD– You can use hoagie rolls or sub rolls from your local bakery or your favorite grocery store. You don’t want to go with something really soft, use bread that is a little more sturdy.
- MEATS– The meats are the most important part of this Italian sub, so stack up on the meats. Here are the meats you will need for this sub:
- Genoa salami
- Turkey, optional
- Pastrami, optional
- CHEESE– Provolone cheese is what this sub calls for but you can use your favorite sliced cheese. If you like a kick to your subs we love using pepper jack cheese!
There are so many different toppings ideas for a classic Italian sub:
- Shredded lettuce
- Banana peppers
- CONDIMENTS and SAUCE:
- Spicy mayo
- Italian dressing
HOW TO MAKE AN ITALIAN SUB RECIPE-
- Lightly toast the hoagie rolls and spread with mayo and any other desired condiments or sauces.
- Load the different types of meats, cheese, and veggies. Drizzle with the dressing and close sandwich.
- Serve with chips, pickles, or homemade French fries.
WHAT TO SERVE SUBS WITH?
We love to enjoy this Italian sub with classic or flavored chips and sliced pickles. You can also enjoy homemade crispy French fries with this sub recipe.
MORE CLASSIC SANDWICHES:
- Chicken Philly– with cheese and veggies
- Chicken Sandwich– with a crispy breading
- Monte Cristo– ham and cheese
- Philly Cheesesteak– a classic combination
- Breakfast sandwich– all the breakfast fixings
Italian Sub Sandwich
- 2 large sub rolls
- 1/4 lb ham
- 1/4 lb Genoa salami
- 1/4 lb capicollo
- 1/4 lb provolone cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- 1 recipe of Italian dressing
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- Lightly toast the hoagie rolls and spread with mayo and any other condiments or sauces.
- Load the different types of meats, cheese, and veggies. Drizzle with the homemade italian dressing and close sandwich.