The ULTIMATE Breakfast Sandwich recipe that is freezer friendly and can be made in advance. English muffins loaded with fluffy eggs, cheese, and your favorite breakfast meat.
The sandwiches are easy to make for parties or brunch, especially great for larger crowds.
If you’ve been looking for a detailed tutorial on how to make the BEST breakfast sandwiches, look no further. Once you try these sandwiches you will not want to try anything else. Toasted English muffins with breakfast meats, eggs, and cheese baked and so much easier and healthier than your traditional sandwich.
This recipe is on rotation along with our Breakfast Croissant Sandwiches and the popular Monte Cristo Sandwiches.
Ingredients for breakfast sandwiches-
- Eggs– whisk together the eggs, half and half, sour cream, salt, and pepper for the egg mixture.
- Meat– you can use a mixture of all three types of meat or just choose meat of choice per sandwich.
- Cheese– your favorite cheese, we use sliced American cheese.
- Bread– We used English muffins but you can use bagels or your favorite Italian bread.
breakfast sandwich toppings-
Though you can serve the sandwich with just the classic eggs, cheese, and meat (what our kids like), my husband and I like to add other toppings for a heartier breakfast. Here are some ideas:
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Tomato, sliced
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Sauteed onion
- Spinach or arugula
- Hot sauce, if you like heat
- Homemade chipotle sauce
NOTE: These sandwiches will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator once assembled.
How to make breakfast sandwiches-
This method is especially great if you will be doubling or tripling the recipe to freeze the sandwiches for later.
- Cook meat– Flatten the sausage into even thin patties and cut the bacon into three parts. Layout the meat on a baking sheet (we like to line it with parchment paper for easier cleanup). Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover to keep warm.
- Cook eggs– Whisk together all of the ingredients for the eggs. Spray 9”x13” pan with baking spray or generously butter. Pour egg mixture into the pan and bake in the preheated oven. Cut eggs into 6 equal parts and fold each part in half.
- Arrange sandwich– If you like your muffins toasted, lay them out onto a baking sheet. Add your meat, cheese, and egg to the English muffins. Toast in the oven preheated to 375°F for 7-9 minutes, until cheese melts and muffins are heated. Add any additional toppings and serve.
How to freeze breakfast sandwiches-
If you will be making these to freeze for later, prepare everything per instruction. Be sure the meats and eggs cool completely before assembling the sandwich.
Add the egg, meat, and cheese to English muffins and wrap in parchment paper, foil, or plastic wrap. Add sandwiches to a large freezer bag (we love THESE bags).
How to reheat frozen breakfast sandwiches-
Thaw sandwiches overnight in the refrigerator. Heat in the oven 6-8 minutes or cook in the microwave for 1 minute (or until the sandwich is reheated).
How to make sandwiches for parties-
If you will be making the sandwiches for a party, use our charcuterie board idea and arrange everything on a platter and allow all the guests to make their own sandwiches (like our breakfast platter). You can still bake the meat and eggs and even bread, then just arrange everything and let your guests create their own sandwich. TIP: Add the cheese to the eggs when they are almost done baking.
I hope you give this recipe for baked breakfast sandwiches a try. I love that none of the ingredients are fried, making the recipe so much healthier.
Other popular breakfast recipes:
- EASY pancakes– so fluffy and airy.
- Omelet with cheese– loaded with sauteed mushrooms.
- Oatmeal– with the best toppings.
- Biscuits– homemade with or gravy.
Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- 9 large eggs
- 1/3 cup half & half creamer
- 2 tsp sour cream
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 6 sausage patties
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 3 parts
- 1/4 lb sliced ham, 6 slices
- 6 english muffins
- 6 slices american cheese
How to make breakfast sandwiches-
Cook the meat:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Flatten the patties and add to the baking sheet. Slice the bacon strips into 3 and add to the other baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes, or until sausage and bacon is cooked. Remove from the oven and cover to keep warm.
Bake the egg mixture:
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, sour cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the egg mixture into a baking sheet and bake the egg mixture at 375F for 8 minutes, until eggs are cooked.
- Cut the egg into 6 pieces.
- Cut the english muffins in half and lay out on a rimmed baking sheet. Top one side with cheese, meat, and egg and close the sandwich. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until cheese melts and muffins are heated.
- Add any other toppings, close the sandwich and enjoy!