The easiest Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich recipe. Thin slices of chicken sautéed with peppers, onions, and mushroom and loaded with cheese served with a hoagie roll. This is the perfect sandwich for lunch or dinner with a side of homemade fries!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
what goes into a chicken Philly?
The ingredients for the Chicken Philly sandwich are so simple and I bet you already have them in your refrigerator! Chicken sauteed with peppers, onion, and mushrooms and loaded with cheese on a hoagie roll, SO GOOD.
CHICKEN- Though I used chicken breast for this recipe, you can easily substitute for chicken thighs with great results!
VEGETABLES- I like onion, peppers, and mushrooms for the sandwich. We used green peppers but a mix of green and red peppers is wonderful as well!
CHEESE- The name gives it away CHEESEsteak. We want lots and lots of cheese in the sandwich. Though provolone is the most popular cheese used in a Philly sandwich, we’ve tested with American and Swiss with great results.
how to make a Chicken Philly sandwich?
- Thinly slice and sauté the chicken breast.
- Slice the onion and peppers into thin strands, slice the mushrooms. Once the chicken is cooked, add the vegetable and minced garlic to the chicken and season with the seasoning. Cook until vegetables are desired doneness. Top with cheese and close lid for the cheese to melt.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread rolls.
- To serve, spread mayo over the rolls and top with the chicken veggies and cheese. Enjoy immediately.
what bread should I use for a Chicken Philly Cheesesteak?
The classic Philly is served over a hoagie roll (long flat roll). However, any white roll or sandwich bread will work for this recipe.
Just like in most restaurants that serve the sandwich, toasting the buns adds so much crispiness to it. We like!
Fancy sandwiches don’t have to feel intimating or something you only order at the restaurant. We love to make sandwiches at home for lunch or a lazy dinner.
Try out our other GREAT sandwiches:
- Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese
- Chicken Avocado Bacon Panini
- Broccoli Chicken Bread Boats
- Chipotle Bacon Avocado Sandwich
I hope you love this chicken sandwich as much as our family. If you make the recipe, leave us feedback below, we love hearing from you.
Chicken Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
- Thinly slice the chicken breast. Slice the onion, mushrooms and cut green peppers into thin strands.
- In a skillet, saute chicken until cooked. Add mushrooms, onions and peppers, cook until the vegetables are desired doneness.
- Add in minced garlic and seasonings, cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Top chicken and veggies with the cheese. Cover with a lid and allow the cheese to melt.
- Toast the buns and spread with mayonnaise. (TIP: If you like spicy, add sriracha or hot sauce to the mayo.)
- Add half of the chicken Philly cheesesteak mixture in each bun.
- Enjoy, friends.