Homemade Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe. Thinly sliced beefsteak with sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions and topped with melted cheese served in a long sandwich hoagie!
homemade philly cheesesteak sandwich-
The classic famous Philly Cheesesteak sandwich is so easy to make at home! The thinly sliced steak is sauteed with mushrooms, green pepper and onion then topped with provolone cheese. The sandwich is classically served in a hoagie roll with French Fries or chips and pickles.
Though the popular sandwich originated from Philadelphia, PA, it has become a staple sandwich in many restaurants across the whole US – because it truly is that good!
how to make philly cheesesteak-
- PREP MEAT & VEGGIES- Thinly slice the meat. Thinly slice the mushrooms, peppers and onion.
|Chef’s TIP: To get the best results, slice the meat as thin as possible. For easier slicing, freeze the meat for 30 minutes before slicing. And don’t forget to use a sharpened knife.|
- SAUTE VEG- . Saute vegetables until tender, remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
- COOK MEAT: Heat oil in the same skillet and sauté just until meat is browned. Season meat and add the garlic. Tip- You want the meat to have some pink in it is so it’s not overcooked as it continues to cook with the vegetables.
- CHEESE- Add the cheese and turn the heat down. Close the lid and cook until cheese melts.
- HOOGIES- Toast sandwich rolls and spread with mayo (mayo is optional). Divide the ingredients from the skillet between two rolls.
what’s the best meat for philly cheesesteak?
In a traditional Philly sandwich, rib-eye is used. However, we’ve experimented with top round, skirt steak and flank steak with great results. The secret is in cutting the meat into really thin slices.
what is the best cheese for a cheese steak sandwich?
Provolone and American cheese are most commonly used in a Philly sandwich. You can also use Mozzarella and Swiss cheese as substitutes.
philly cheesesteak seasonings-
The only seasoning you need in a traditional Philly Cheesesteak is salt and pepper.
I love the added flavor garlic and paprika five the Philly sandwich. They are not traditional ingredients for a Philly sandwich but make this recipe, the best! The garlic adds so much flavor to the meat and veggies.
If you’ve never tried making Philly Cheesesteak at home, give it a try. Especially if you ever want something good but quick for busy dinners or a hearty lunch.
other sandwich recipes:
- Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese– so easy.
- Chicken Wraps– quick to make and so hearty.
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken– juicy and creamy chicken.
- BQQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich– serve with coleslaw.
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe
- 3/4 lb beef steak
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 6 oz mushrooms
- 4 oz provolone cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 hoagie rolls, sliced through
- 1 Tbsp mayo, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and paprika for the seasoning.
- Thinly slice the steak.
- Thinly slice the onions, mushrooms and green peppers.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over med/high heat. Add the vegetable and cook until tender (or desired doneness), stirring as needed. Remove from skillet and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the oil over high heat. Once hot, add the steak and spread out evenly. Cok until the meat starts to brown but still has some pink in it.
- Flip meat and season with half of the seasoning and add the garlic. Return the vegetables to the skillet and stir to combine. Season with remaining seasoning.
- Top with cheese and close the lid on the skillet. Cook over low/med heat until cheese melts.
- Slice the hoagies about 3/4 through and toast. Spread mayo over the hoagies.
- Add half of the Philly cheesesteak mixture into each bun.
- ROLLS- Toasting the rolls is optional but adds crispiness to the bread.
- SEASON- Seasoning can be kept to just salt and pepper.
- REHEAT- Reheated the sandwich wrapped in foil in the oven.