Homemade Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe – Thinly sliced beefsteak with sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions and topped with melted cheese served in a long sandwich roll!
homemade philly cheesesteak sandwich-
The classic famous Philly Cheesesteak sandwich is so easy to make at home! The thinly sliced steak is sauteed with mushrooms, green pepper and onion then topped with provolone cheese. The sandwich is classically served in a hoagie roll with French fries or chips and pickles.
Though the popular sandwich originated from Philadelphia, PA, it has become a staple sandwich in many restaurants across the whole US – because it truly is that good!
how to make a philly cheesesteak sandwich-
Thinly slice the meat. Sauté the meat with oil until it starts to brown. You want the meat to have some pink in it is so it’s not overcooked as it continues to cook with the vegetables.
TIP: To get the best results, slice the meat as thin as possible. For easier slicing, freeze the meat before slicing. And don’t forget to use a sharpened knife.
Meanwhile, thinly slice the mushrooms, peppers and onion. Combine the salt, pepper and paprika and season the meat and vegetables. Continue cooking until vegetables are desired tenderness.
Add the cheese and turn the heat down. Close the lid and cook until cheese melts.
Toast sandwich rolls and spread with mayo. Divide the ingredients from the skillet between two rolls.
what’s the best meat for philly cheesesteak?
In a traditional Philly sandwich, rib-eye is used. However, we’ve experimented with top round, skirt steak and flank steak with great results.
what is the best cheese for a cheesesteak sandwich?
You can use your favorite cheese or a combination of cheeses for these Philly Cheese Steaks. Provolone, Swiss, American or Mozzarella are all great choices.
philly cheesesteak seasonings-
The only seasoning you need in a traditional Philly Cheesesteak is salt and pepper.
I love the added garlic and paprika that we use in the recipe. They are not traditional ingredients for a Philly sandwich but make this recipe, the best! The garlic adds so much flavor to the meat and veggies.
If you’ve never tried making Philly Cheesesteak at home, give it a try. Especially if you ever want something good but quick for busy dinners.
try our other sandwich recipes:
- Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese– so easy.
- Chicken Wraps– quick to make and so hearty.
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken– juicy and creamy chicken.
- BQQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich– serve with coleslaw.
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and paprika for the seasoning.
- Thinly slice the steak.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tsp oil. Once the oil is hot, add the steak and until meat starts to brown but still has some pink.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the onions, mushrooms and green peppers. Add to the beef with the garlic and season.
- Cook until vegetables are tender and top with cheese, stirring as needed. Close the lid on the skillet and cook until cheese melts.
- Slice the hoagies through about 3/4 through. Toast the buns and spread with mayonnaise.
- Add half of the Philly cheesesteak mixture into each bun.