Homemade Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe. Thinly sliced beefsteak with sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions and topped with melted cheese served in a long sandwich hoagie!
homemade philly cheesesteak sandwich-
The classic famous Philly Cheesesteak sandwich is so easy to make at home! The thinly sliced steak is sauteed with mushrooms, green pepper and onion then topped with provolone cheese. The sandwich is classically served in a hoagie roll with French Fries or chips and pickles.
Though the popular sandwich originated from Philadelphia, PA, it has become a staple sandwich in many restaurants across the whole US – because it truly is that good!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
how to make philly cheesesteak-
- MEAT- Thinly slice the meat. Sauté the meat with oil until it starts to brown. Tip- You want the meat to have some pink in it is so it’s not overcooked as it continues to cook with the vegetables.
|Chef’s TIP: To get the best results, slice the meat as thin as possible. For easier slicing, freeze the meat for 30 minutes before slicing. And don’t forget to use a sharpened knife.|
- VEGETABLES- Meanwhile, thinly slice the mushrooms, peppers and onion. Add to the beef. Combine the salt, pepper, garlic and paprika and season the meat and vegetables. Continue cooking until vegetables are desired tenderness.
- CHEESE- Add the cheese and turn the heat down. Close the lid and cook until cheese melts.
- HOOGIES- Toast sandwich rolls and spread with mayo (mayo is optional). Divide the ingredients from the skillet between two rolls.
what’s the best meat for philly cheesesteak?
In a traditional Philly sandwich, rib-eye is used. However, we’ve experimented with top round, skirt steak and flank steak with great results. The secret is in cutting the meat into really thin slices.
what is the best cheese for a cheese steak sandwich?
Provolone and American cheese are most commonly used in a Philly sandwich. You can also use Mozzarella and Swiss cheese as substitutes.
philly cheesesteak seasonings-
The only seasoning you need in a traditional Philly Cheesesteak is salt and pepper.
I love the added flavor garlic and paprika five the Philly sandwich. They are not traditional ingredients for a Philly sandwich but make this recipe, the best! The garlic adds so much flavor to the meat and veggies.
If you’ve never tried making Philly Cheesesteak at home, give it a try. Especially if you ever want something good but quick for busy dinners or a hearty lunch.
other sandwich recipes:
- Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese– so easy.
- Chicken Wraps– quick to make and so hearty.
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken– juicy and creamy chicken.
- BQQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich– serve with coleslaw.
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe
- 3/4 lb beef steak
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 6 oz mushrooms
- 4 oz provolone cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 hoagie rolls, sliced through
- oil, for sauteing
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and paprika for the seasoning.
- Thinly slice the steak.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tsp oil. Once the oil is hot, add the steak and until meat starts to brown but still has some pink in it.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the onions, mushrooms and green peppers. Add to the beef with the garlic and season everything.
- Cook until vegetables are tender (desired doneness), stirring as needed. Top with cheese and close the lid on the skillet and cook, cook over low/med heat until cheese melts.
- Slice the hoagies about 3/4 through. Toast the buns and spread with mayonnaise.
- Add half of the Philly cheesesteak mixture into each bun.
- ROLLS- Toasting the rolls is optional but adds crispiness to the bread.
- SEASON- Seasoning can be kept to just salt and pepper.
- REHEAT- Reheated the sandwich wrapped in foil in the over or microwave.