This healthy homemade chicken wrap recipe makes the best lunch or light dinner. The crispy tortilla, pan-seared chicken, spicy ranch, and crisp, fresh vegetable combination are sure to become a regular in your kitchen!
The wrap is great for a hearty lunch or may be enjoyed as a quick dinner.
Chicken Wrap Recipe
A homemade chicken wrap is an inexpensive and healthier substitute for your favorite store-bought or fast food wrap. Simply add the cooked chicken and chopped vegetables to a tortilla, top with the homemade spicy ranch, and saute until the outside has a satisfying crunch. These are perfect for summertime family lunches.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Involve the kids. This is a great recipe to involve your kids in! Have them help assemble a personalized wrap for a fun school lunch!
- Done in no time. From start to finish, this recipe is done in just 15 minutes! That’s faster than going out to pick up lunch!
- Great for picnics. Warm weather calls for lunch at the park, and these wraps are a must for any lunch outside!
- Customizable. From the protein to the choice of dressing, you can switch out any of the ingredients to fit your dietary preferences!
- Make extra! Want to have some quick lunches on hand for the week? To meal prep, double the recipe and store leftovers refrigerated. Or, triple the recipe and serve at a party!
To watch the full video for these chicken wraps, watch our YOUTUBE video and subscribe for more videos!
Chicken Wrap Ingredients
These are the ingredients we use for our chicken wraps but the recipe is adaptable, so feel free to omit or substitute ingredients as you need to.
- Chicken- we use one portion of our pan-seared chicken recipe for the chicken wraps. You’ll need salt, onion and garlic powder, black pepper, Italian seasoning, paprika, and cayenne for the chicken seasoning.
- Bacon- add more if you love bacon or omit it completely if you don’t eat pork.
- Vegetables- we use a combination of crisp romaine lettuce, red onion, tomato, and avocado.
- Sauce- to prevent a dry wrap, we make a spicy ranch with hot sauce. You can make a homemade ranch or use your favorite store-bought version.
- Tortillas- for burrito-style wraps, use a larger tortilla. If you prefer smaller wraps, use a smaller tortilla.
- Cheese- optionally, add shredded cheese such as mozzarella, Colby jack, or cheddar cheese.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities, see the recipe card below.
How to Make Chicken Wraps
The grilled chicken wraps are so simple to make, so easy that your kids can even help you make them!
- Cook chicken: Start by cooking one recipe of our pan-seared chicken breasts. If you are using leftover chicken, simply reheat the chicken.
- Cut and cook bacon: Chop the bacon into small pieces and then cook the bacon to your desired doneness. Or, use our air-fryer recipe to cook the bacon.
- Slice vegetables: Finely chop the lettuce, slice the tomatoes, or dice into small pieces, chop the onion, and slice or cube the avocado.
- Prepare sauce: In a small bowl, mix together the ranch dressing and hot sauce.
- Assemble wraps: Slice the chicken into small pieces. On a warmed tortilla, add some chopped chicken, your desired amount of vegetables, and top with the spicy ranch.
- Fold: Fold into a taco shape by folding the tortilla over itself in half. Or, roll into a burrito shape, ensuring you tuck the corners to prevent vegetables from spilling out of the sides.
- Toast, optionally: If you prefer a crispy wrap, toast the assembled wrap on all sides in a skillet, or press lightly in a panini press to achieve a warm, crispy exterior.
- Serve and enjoy, friends!
Substitutions and Variations
Wraps are very forgiving and can be tweaked depending on what’s sitting in your fridge that day.
- Different protein: If you prefer seafood, add shrimp or fish instead of chicken.
- Swap the veggies: Use different greens as the base, such as spinach or arugula. Add jalapenos, bell peppers, or cucumbers to the wraps if you choose.
- Different dressing: Ranch is a classic but can be substituted for chipotle ranch or even Caesar dressing.
- Flavor the chicken: Make a flavored wrap by adding your favorite sauce to the chicken or straight in the wrap. BBQ, Buffalo, Asian Zing, or any of your favorite chicken sauces are great options.
- Pita: Use our pita bread instaed of a tortilla.
Wraps are a popular lunch box food served with sides that can easily be packed on the go.
- Potatoes: Potato chips are easiest to pack, but you can also serve them with french fries or frozen air-fried tater tots.
- Onion rings: Serve with homemade onion rings for a unique flavor profile combo.
- Platter of fruit: A mega fruit platter or a simple fruit salad paired with chicken wraps will make the healthiest lunch that the whole family will enjoy.
- Dip: Serve the wraps with a side of chips and a dip such as a ranch cheese ball, a hot crab dip, or even homemade hummus.
You can use whatever chicken you prefer- rotisserie, chicken from the grill, or leftover chicken from last night’s dinner!
The chicken wraps can be enjoyed with hot chicken or cold, depending on your preference.
We prefer flour tortillas for the wraps. The size you choose depends on how you like your wraps wrapped. If you fold them, a fajita-size flour tortilla will probably work best. If you prefer to make them into a larger wrap, opt for the burrito size to ensure you can wrap it up without losing the filling.
Store & Reheat
- Storage. Place in an airtight container, or wrap each one individually in foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freeze. These wraps are best enjoyed fresh, as they contain fresh vegetables!
- Reheating. If you choose to reheat the wraps, place them in a toaster oven until reheated or reheat them over low heat on the stovetop. For best results, ensure wraps are not pre-toasted, so the outsides don’t burn.
More Easy Lunch Recipes
Chicken Wrap Recipe
- Prepare 1 recipe of the pan-seared chicken breast.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sear chicken 2-3 minutes per side. Turn heat down to low, close lid of the skillet and cook another 5-6 minutes, until chicken is tender.
- Cut bacon into small pieces. Cook in a separte skillet until desired doneness. Pat grease dry.
- Slice lettuce and onion, cube tomatoes and slice or cube avocado.
- In a small bowl combine together the ranch and hot sauce.
- In a skillet, heat the flour tortillas until desired crispiness. (Or layout tortilla on wire rack in oven and bake until crispy.)
- Slice chicken into thin strands, add to tortilla. Add remaining ingredients over top of chicken. Drizzle with the ranch.
- Serve and enjoy, friends.