EASY homemade Chicken Fajita Quesadilla Recipe. Crispy tortillas loaded with chicken, vegetables, and cheese – everything you’d expect in an authentic Mexican-style dinner, ready in just 15 minutes.
For a simpler chicken quesadilla recipe, you have to give our easy chicken quesadilla recipe.
Tortillas loaded with seasoned chicken, sauteed peppers, onion, cheese then cooked until tortillas are crispy and thoroughly heated. Though you can fill the tortillas with any ingredient you like, we love these quesadillas inspired by the classic Chicken Fajitas.
Serve the quesadillas with homemade guacamole and salsa.
What is a quesadilla? A quesadilla is a Mexican dish that uses tortillas (corn or flour) with a filling, folded in half, and cooked until the tortilla is crispy (kind of like a flat taco).
How to make quesadillas?
- CHICKEN– Cut the chicken into thin strands. TIP: You can use chicken breast or chicken thighs.
- VEGETABLES– Cut peppers and onion into strands (you want to keep them the same size for even cooking).
- COOK CHICKEN– Add oil to a skillet, once hot, sauce chicken and season with homemade seasoning. Remove from the skillet and cover to keep warm. TIP: You can use store-bought seasoning or just season with your favorite seasoning.
- COOK VEGETABLES– In the same skillet, saute the vegetables until tender. Add the chicken back and mix everything.
- ASSEMBLE– Add chicken and veggie filling to one half of the quesadilla. Generously top with cheese. Repeat with the second quesadilla.
- COOK QUESADILLAS– Add both quesadillas to the skillet. Cook until the tortilla is crispy, flip, and cook until the other side is crispy and cheese melts (if you need to, turn the heat down and cook until cheese melts).
FAQ’s and Tips for chicken Quesadilla recipe-
You are going to love these EASY-loaded quesadillas! Cheesy and loaded with protein and veggies – this recipe is a WINNER.
We just kept the classic peppers and onions that are normally cooked with Fajitas, mushrooms make a great addition. TIP– The vegetables may either be cubed or cut into thin strands.
We use chicken for these fajitas, however, you can use shrimp or steak as a substitute with wonderful results.
Yes. Prepare per instructions and refrigerate the quesadillas. Cook before serving. TIP– Be sure to keep the quesadillas covered so the tortilla doesn’t become dry. Store for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Yes. Prepare per instructions and freeze quesadillas. Thaw overnight and cook per instructions.
You can use any shredded cheese you have on hand. Four cheese and Mexican are our favorites but you can add Colby Jack or Mozzarella as well.
To add heat to the quesadilla, you can add cubed jalapenos or Sriracha.
These quesadillas are great for a lazy evening or a hearty lunch (and your next camping trip). Not only are they SO EASY to make, but they are also so filling.
OTHER MEXICAN-INSPIRED RECIPES:
- Shrimp Fajitas– ready in just 15 minutes.
- Fish Tacos– with an amazing cilantro lime sauce.
- Chipotle Bowl– so much better than takeout.
- Taco Soup– perfect for Taco Tuesday!
Chicken Fajita Quesadilla Recipe
- Cut the chicken into small strands. Slice the pepper and onion into thin strands.
- Saute the peppers and onions with butter until vegetables reach desired tenderness. Add the chicken back and cook until chicken is heated.
- Add half of the chicken mixture to one side of the tortilla, top with cheese and fold the tortilla. Repeat with the second tortilla.
- In a skillet, cook the quesadillas over medium until the tortillas are crispy and cheese melts.
- Enjoy, friends.