This is the BEST Fish Taco Recipe. Soft tortillas loaded with white fish then topped with a fish taco slaw, toppings, and the best sauce. Ready in just 20 minutes, these tacos will become a hit!
FISH TACO RECIPE-
These Tilapia Fish Tacos are a family favorite for busy dinners and so fun for Taco Tuesday! Not only are they so easy to make, but they are also so filling and taste amazingly DELICIOUS!
I love the crispness of the fish combined with the homemade crunchy slaw and the sauce that takes the tacos to a whole new level of GOOD.
Watch the full detailed video for these Fish Tacos on our YouTube and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to our channel.
What Fish is Best for Fish Tacos?
We suggest a mild-flavored white fish for fish tacos. We used cod in this recipe but you can also easily substitute for flounder, halibut, tilapia, or your favorite white fish.
Can I use frozen fish: You want to make sure your fish is either flesh or completely thawed before cooking. Otherwise, your fish will cook on the outside and remain raw on the inside.
Though you can use store-bought seasoning, we make our own and it is amazing! We combine paprika, cumin, chili powder, and garlic for the BEST fish taco seasoning.
Be as creative or traditional as you want with your toppings. We add the toppings into different ramekins and serve it buffet-style allowing everyone to personalize their fish tacos.
Here are some of the classic toppings-
- Diced tomatoes
- Avocado (or guac)
- Feta cheese or cotija
- Cabbage slaw
- Red onion
This fish taco slaw adds texture to tacos. Finely shredded purple and green cabbage, shredded carrots, and red onion are what you need for the slaw. We just use this mandoline slicer for those perfect slices!
If you’ll be adding diced red onion as a topping, you can omit it in the slaw but we prefer it here.
THE BEST fish taco SAUCE-
In my opinion, the sauce is what completes a fish taco. Not only does it add flavor but it binds the components together. We make our own sauce and it is bomb dot com good. All you need is Ranch dressing, sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and hot sauce for the BEST fish taco sauce.
HOW TO MAKE FISH TACOS-
Alright, because you want to enjoy the tacos hot, be sure all of your toppings, slaw, and sauce are made. And, the tortillas are heated so you can serve the tacos right away.
- Make the slaw– Finely shred the white and red cabbage with a mandoline slicer. Thinly julienne the carrot and finely slice the red onion. Toss the ingredients for the coleslaw mix to combine.
- Prepare sauce– In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the fish taco sauce.
- Prep toppings– Cube or slice the tomatoes, avocado, and finely chop the cilantro.
- Heat tortillas– Though this is optional, we like to heat the tortillas on a clean skillet (or in the oven).
- Cook the fish– In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the fish breading. Coat the fish on all fry until fully cooked, flipping halfway through cooking.
- Assemble tacos– Add the fish to corn tortillas, top with the coleslaw, toppings and drizzle with sauce and squeeze with fresh lime juice.
Methods for cooking fish
You can prepare the fish using so many different ways! Here are some of the classic methods to cook the fish. The cooking time
- Stove Top– Add 2 Tablespoons oil and cook 2-3 minutes per side. You want to use a large enough skillet so the fish isn’t crowded.
- Air Fryer– Grease the basket of the air fryer. Add the fish and spray with oil. Cook 3-4 minutes, per side.
- Grill– Heat your grill to medium-high heat and grease your grill grates. Cook fish 2-3 minutes per side.
- Oven– Heat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Add fish and bake for 10-12 minutes.
We like to prepare everything and set the toppings in ramekins on the table buffet style allowing everyone to build their own taco. Here are some other great recipes to add:
OTHER EASY FISH RECIPES-
- Blackened Tilapia Fish
- Shrimp Tacos
- Creamy Vegetable Tilapia
- Buttered Cod
- Grilled Salmon
- Crab Stuffed Salmon
- Flounder with Vegetables
Fish Taco Recipe
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- 1 lb fish fillets (cod or tilapia)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
fish taco sauce-
fish taco toppings-
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta or cotija cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, cubed
- 1 lime
- Shred and julienne ingredients for the slaw. Combine and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Combine ingredients for the fish seasoning.
- Coat the cod generously on all sides with the seasoning.
- Once the oil is hot, add fish fillets and cook 2-4 minutes per side, or until the fillets are flakey and cooked.
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas and cut toppings.
- Add cooked fish to a tortilla. Generously top with slaw, desired topping and drizzle with sauce and fresh lime juice.