This homemade Shrimp Taco Recipe with Slaw and a creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce is a KEEPER. The juicy shrimp are stacked on a bed of the crunchy slaw and topped with avocado, tomatoes and the sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Enjoy this video recipe tutorial for the BEST fish tacos. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel. 🙂
We love Mexican inspired recipes. From Chicken Fajitas to hearty Taco Bowls and our newest favorite, Fish Tacos. There’s just something special and comforting about Mexican style dishes. Today, we bring you another recipe – probably my personal favorite, the BEST Shrimp Tacos.
shrimp taco recipe-
Sauteed seasoned shrimp with taco seasoning in crispy flour tortillas on a bed of crunchy cabbage slaw topped with avocado, tomatoes and a creamy cilantro lime sauce.
These shrimp tacos would be great for a hearty lunch or an easy dinner. They’re even great to serve at a party if you are having guests and serve the toppings buffet style. Allow the guests to add personalize their toppings.
I don’t say this too often, but, once you give these shrimp tacos a try…
…..your life will never be the same again.
You’ll make these on a regular basis.
I warned you ;)!
prepare shrimp taco sauce and slaw-
We used a cilantro line sauce for the taco sauce. It adds so much flavor to the shrimp tacos and is so easy to make.
- Shred cabbage- In a bowl, finely shred the red and green cabbage, we used a slicer for evenvale pieces.
- Cilantro lime sauce- Mix together the ingredients for the cilantro lime sauce. Mix together the mayo, sour cream, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, pinch salt and pepper. Add some of the sauce to the cabbage slaw, toss to combine.
- Vegetables- Cube the avocado and tomatoes.
how to cook shrimp tacos-
We used our classic taco seasoning for this recipe to give it that Mexican taste. You can tweak the seasoning to your personal liking.
- Shrimp taco seasoning- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the taco seasoning. If you want the shrimp spicy, add more chili powder than indicated.
- Prep shrimp- Devein and peel the shrimp. Completely pat dry and generously season with the taco seasoning.
- Cook shrimp- In a large skillet, add the butter and oil. Once hot, add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp 4-5 minutes (or until pink and opaque), flipping halfway through the cooking. NOTE- The smaller the shrimp, the quicker it will cook and larger shrimp need a few extra minutes compared to small shrimp.
CHEF’S TIP- Be sure the shrimp is completely thawed or it won’t cook evenly. To thaw shrimp, place in the refrigerator overnight. If you forget, just add the shrimp to cool water for 20-30 minutes.
how to serve shrimp tacos-
- Toast tortillas- You can either toast the tortillas in a skillet or just fold up the tortilla and toast it in a toaster.
- Assemble- Add a generous portion of the slaw to the tortilla. Then add the shrimp. Top with avocado and tomatoes and drizzle more of the sauce over everything. Drizzle fresh lime juice for added flavor, if desired.
what goes with shrimp tacos?
Though we kept our shrimp tacos pretty basic. We have the cabbage slaw, the cilantro lime sauce, avocado and tomato, and shrimp, of course. Here are a few other options to add to your tacos:
- feta cheese
- mango (we love adding mango if we have any on hand)
- jalapeno (if you like spicy food)
- red onion
NOTE: If you don’t want the toppings cut separately, you can make homemade guacamole to serve with the fish tacos (with or without mango).
I cannot wait for you to give these EASY Fish Tacos a try! Seriously smiling from ear to ear about your taste buds loving you, ha!
ENJOY, friends. 🙂
OTHER QUICK AND EASY RECIPES:
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice– A one-pot wonder.
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings– Skip the frying.
- Broccoli Chicken Alfredo Pasta– For the Alfredo fans.
- Easy Pelmeni– 30-minute version.
Shrimp Tacos with Slaw
- 1 cup green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
cilantro lime sauce-
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- lemon juice, to top, optional
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/3 cup cubed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp feta cheese, optional
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the cilantro lime sauce.
- Finely shred the green cabbage and red cabbage. Add some of the dressing and mix until well combined.
- Cube the avocado and tomatoes.
- Season the shrimp with taco seasoning.
- In a skillet, heat oil and butter until hot. Once hot add the shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side, or until pink and opaque.
- Warm the tortillas. Assemble: Add the cabbage slaw, shrimp, avocado, tomatoes. Drizzle with more cilantro lime sauce and fresh lime juice.