This Baked Chicken Fajitas recipe is the perfect one-sheet meal for a quick family dinner. Chicken with peppers, onions, and mushrooms in a homemade seasoning added to a baking sheet and baked. With 10-minute prep time, this is a great recipe when craving Mexican food. Customize each fajita with your favorite toppings.
This fajitas recipe (and our easy Baked Salmon and Shrimp) is on our menu regularly for busy evenings.
Chicken fajitas are always a great idea. There are so many different ways to prepare the Mexican inspired dish. I love this oven baked chicken fajitas recipe because other than the prepping of the ingredients, nothing else needs to be done. The homemade fajita seasoning adds so much flavor to the easy dish.
The chicken with vegetables is a great option if you are looking to be eating a bit healthier. Packed with protein, you don’t have to feel guilty about eating, it truly is healthy. YES!
how to make chicken fajitas-
This recipe is not only so easy, but it’s also so quick to make and all of the ingredients are most likely already in your refrigerator! You can’t beat that.
- Finely chop the fresh tomatoes.
- Cut the chicken, onion, carrots, and peppers into thin even strips. Clean and quarter mushrooms.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the seasoning. TIP: You can substitute for taco seasoning if desired.
- Add the seasoning over chicken and vegetables and toss together in a bowl.
- Lay everything out onto a rimmed baking sheet and cook.
what vegetables go with chicken fajitas?
The classic chicken fajitas have onion and peppers with them. I like to add carrots and mushrooms to our fajitas. They are more flavorful and has a unique twist to the traditional recipe.
can the ingredients be prepped in advance?
Yes, the chicken fajitas can be prepped in advance. Prepare everything per instructions up to when you transfer everything on to a baking sheet. Keep the ingredients covered and refrigerated until ready to bake. Then, continue with recipe.
NOTE: Since the ingredients will be cold, a few additional minutes may be needed for baking.
Serve the chicken fajitas with flour tortillas. Tortillas may be heated on a dry skillet for a warm tortilla. For a crispy tortilla, drizzle light oil into a skillet, then cook until desired crispiness is reached.
how long do chicken fajitas bake?
Baking time for the chicken fajitas will vary depending on the sizes of the pieces and oven. Cooking time will be between 25-30 minutes. Broil dish for a few minutes if crispiness is desired.
how to serve chicken fajitas?
Serve fajitas in tortillas with your favorite toppings. Drizzle freshly squeeze lime before servings.
- Top fajitas with avocados, lettuce, sour cream, hot sauce or shredded cheese.
- The chicken fajitas may also be served with a side of rice or beans.
can I make chicken fajitas in a crockpot?
Yes! This recipe is just as easy if prepared in a slow cooker (crockpot). We have a complete post dedicated to Crockpot Chicken Fajitas!
I hope you loved this recipe for homemade baked chicken fajitas. Don’t forget to leave us feedback in the comments below if you make this recipe.
Like and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel!
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast (3 chicken breasts), thin strips
- 1/2 red pepper, thin strips
- 1/2 green pepper, thin strips
- 2 medium carrots, thin strips
- 1/2 sweet onion, thin slices
- 6 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp table salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 420°F.
- Remove skins from tomatoes and finely chop, set aside.
- Cut the chicken, peppers, and carrots into thin strips. Quarter mushrooms and slice onion thin.
- Combine all the ingredients for the seasoning.
- In a bowl combine the chicken, onion, peppers, carrots, and mushrooms. Add the seasoning and mix well.
- Evenly spread in a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes and mix again (add additional seasonings if needed). Return to oven and cook another 15-18 minutes.
- Enjoy, friends.