With all the busyness of life, there’s nothing better than a delicious home-cooked meal that takes less than an hour and little to no prep time. These sheet pan chicken fajitas combine the delicious Mexican flavors of restaurant-style fajitas served as an easy one-pan dinner! This meal comes out so delectable, you would never guess how easy it was – almost as quick as our crockpot chicken fajitas.
Enjoy your favorite authentic Mexican flavors right at home with this simple recipe. We combine tender strips of chicken with flavorful veggies and bake them to a crispy and juicy finish. The best part of this sheet pan chicken fajitas recipe is that it’s made in one pan minimizing cleanup.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Cheaper alternative. These fajitas are an easy restaurant favorite and cost so much less to recreate at home.
- Customizable. You can easily make this meal fit your preferences by adding different veggies or omitting them altogether!
- Kid-friendly. This dinner is perfect for adults and children, as it offers a fun interactive meal that can appeal to everyone.
- Authentic. The seasoning and flavors of this recipe are authentic to what you would find at your favorite Mexican restaurant, just like the homemade steak fajitas.
Ingredients for Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken breasts – cut into thin, even strips.
- Peppers and onions – a mix of red and green bell peppers, and onion, cut into thin strips.
- Mushrooms – cleaned and cut into quarters.
- Tomatoes – finely chopped, medium tomatoes.
- Seasoning – a mix of salt, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and cumin.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities, see the recipe card below.
Toasted tortillas: Chicken fajitas taste best when enveloped in a fluffy tortilla. Warm up the tortillas on a skillet for a minute on each side, or longer for crunchy tortillas.
Substitutions and Variations
This recipe can be customized to fit your needs and preferences.
- Protein: You can easily swap out the chicken for your favorite protein. Steak and shrimp fajitas are both great options, but their cooking times will vary.
- Spice: Take your fajitas to the next level by adding some heat! You can add cayenne pepper to the seasoning mix and sliced jalapeño to the veggies or even use taco seasoning as the seasoning.
- Cheese: Top the chicken with shredded cheese before baking for a cheesy fajita!
- Healthier alternative: Use the chicken fajitas to make lettuce wraps for a taco that’s lower in calories!
How to Make Baked Chicken Fajitas
Easiest step-by-step instructions to make sheet pan chicken fajitas.
Step 1 – Slice, julienne and quarter the vegetables and chicken. Combine the ingredients for the seasoning. Then, in a large bowl or a baking sheet, toss everything and season (minus tomatoes).
Step 2 – Evenly spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake in the oven 425°F, bake for 15 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and mix. Finally, bake for an additional 15-18 minutes.
- With sides: Serve up the fajitas with a side of homemade cilantro lime rice and a bowl of hearty chicken taco soup!
- With dips: Make some simple guacamole or the ground beef rotel dip to serve as an appetizer for your fajitas!
- Drinks: Our strawberry lemonade recipe makes the perfect restaurant-style drink that goes perfectly with these fajitas.
Let the pan of fajitas sit for a couple of minutes when out of the oven to preserve the juices!
Elevate your fajitas by adding your favorite toppings. We love ours topped with classic pico de gallo, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh cilantro, salsa, sour cream, avocado, corn, and lettuce.
You can substitute chicken breast for chicken thighs! Just cut into strips the same way.
Since the chicken is sliced thin you can tell it is done just by the exterior. However, you can also use a meat thermometer to be sure. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
Fresh vegetables are best for getting a crispy and tender finish, but you can use frozen veggies if in a pinch. Be aware that frozen veggies may release excess moisture.
Store & Reheat
- Storage. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat. Warm fajitas on a skillet over medium-low heat until warm throughout.
- Freeze. You can freeze cooked fajitas by sealing them in a freezer-safe container and storing them for up to 3 months. Reheat: Let fajitas thaw in the fridge overnight before warming on a skillet over medium heat.
More Mexican Recipes
If you tried this Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below – we really appreciate it!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breast 3 chicken breasts
- ½ red bell pepper thin strips
- ½ green bell pepper thin strips
- 2 medium carrots thin strips
- ½ sweet onion sliced
- 6 oz mushrooms quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prep your chicken by slicing and chopping the peppers, carrots, onion, and mushrooms. In a small bowl combine the seasoning.
- In a large bowl mix together chicken and vegetables and coat thoroughly with seasoning.
- Evenly spread everything onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then mix in tomatoes, and bake for an additional 15-18 minutes.
- Serve while hot in some flour tortillas with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
- Cut chicken and vegetables into uniform pieces for even cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet to prevent the chicken and veggies from steaming.
- Store leftover fajitas in the fridge for up to 3 days.