These easy crockpot chicken fajitas are completely made in your slow cooker, yet still have the authentic flavors of classic fajitas. Add everything to your crockpot and allow it to do the rest of the work!
We love easy slow cooker recipes. This fajitas recipe joins our BBQ Pulled Chicken Crockpot and the Crockpot Chicken Alfredo for favorite crockpot dishes.
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas Recipe-
The slow cooker chicken fajitas recipe is that perfect Mexican-inspired dinner that’s so easy to make yet has all the authentic flavors! Chicken with peppers and onion in a seasoning cooked until tender and so juicy.
We also share the Stovetop Version of this recipe and the sheet pan Baked Version if that is the method of cooking you are looking for.
What You’ll Need:
The slow cooker chicken fajita ingredients are so simple.
- Chicken: You can use skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs for the recipe (or even a combination of both).
- Fajita seasoning: We used half a portion of our Cajun Seasoning, but you can use store-bought.
- Vegetables: For the veggies, we used an assortment of bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and carrots.
- Tomatoes: You can use chopped tomatoes of any sort, and keep the skin on.
- Garlic: The freshly added garlic adds so much flavor to the fajita recipe.
how to make crockpot chicken fajitas:
This recipe comes together so quickly, and you can have it in the crockpot in just 10 minutes of prep time. We used our 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cut meat: Slice the chicken into strips.
- Cut vegetables: Slice the onion, and julienne cut carrots.
- Make seasoning: In a bowl combine the spices for the seasoning, combine the salt black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground paprika, Italian seasoning, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook: Add chicken, vegetables, tomatoes, garlic, and seasoning to your slow cooker until tender. Gently toss before serving.
- Serve and Enjoy!
|COOK TIME: The cook time in the slow cooker will slightly vary depending on the side of your crockpot and how thick you cut your pieces.|
-Cook on high for 2 – 3 hours. Cook on low for 4 hours.
Variations & Substitutions:
- Salsa- instead of tomatoes, add your favorite salsa.
- Different protein- you can use different meat like beef or shrimp. If you use a different meat the cooking time will slightly vary.
- Traditional- traditional fajitas don’t have carrots and mushrooms. So, if you are looking for a classic chicken fajita recipe, leave out the carrots and mushrooms.
Serve the chicken fajitas with your favorite Mexican side. Here are some great ideas:
- In flour tortillas like tacos, we like to toast them
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro adds so much flavor
- With baked rice
- The Classic Pico de Gallo
- Your favorite shredded cheese will work
- Any sour cream will work
- A side of black beans or your favorite beans
- Our homemade Guacamole or store-bought
|Serve Buffet Style: These fajitas are great to serve buffet style with toppings in bowls allowing everyone to build their own fajita dish or bowl.|
Frequently Asked Questions:
Though we love the little kick from the Cajun seasoning, you may definitely just Homemade Taco Seasoning or store-bought.
Yes, definitely. Once cooled, add to a freezer bag and flatten out the mixture. Freeze for up to 2 to 3 months.
We prefer flour tortillas with the fajitas but corn tortillas may also be used. We love toasting the tortillas for crispiness and serving them warm.
Keep the leftover fajita mixture in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
More Crockpot Recipes:
If you enjoy cooking with your Slow Cooker, we share so many recipes, here are some of our favorites:
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken (chicken breast or thighs)
- 1 1/2 bells peppers, sliced
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 portion cajun seasoning
- cilantro, for serving
- lime, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- Slice chicken into uniform strands. Slice onion and mushrooms. Julienne the carrot and cut peppers into thin strands. Mince garlic. Dice tomatoes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and garlic into the bowl of the slow cooker. Then all the vegetables and chicken.
- Combine all the ingredients for the seasoning. Season ingredients and toss gently, add remaining seasoning and toss again.
- Cook 2-3 hours on high and 4 hours on low.