This is the easiest homemade recipe for Classic Pico De Gallo. This Mexican salsa is loaded with fresh tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and lime juice is amazing!
Serve as a side with your favorite Mexican dish, like Classic Tacos!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Like our Shrimp Ceviche, this homemade Pico De Gallo is so much better than what you would order at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Not only is it absolutely delicious, but it’s also SO EASY to make.
What is Pico De Gallo?
Authentic Pico de Gallo is a type of salsa used in Mexican cuisine. The traditional recipe uses fresh chopped tomatoes, onion, cumin, lime juice and fresh cilantro.
The salsa is popular at restaurants as an appetizer served with chips, just like guacamole.
What is the difference between Pico De Gallo and Salsa?
Though Pico De Gallo uses similar ingredients to salsa, it is slightly altered in the preparation of the recipe.
Salsa uses finely chopped ingredients and is often blended while Pico De Gallo uses chunky cubed vegetables.
How to make the BEST Pico De Gallo?
Here are the ingredients needed for authentic Pico De Gallo and tips in preparation.
- Tomatoes– Cube your tomatoes. You want to be sure to use ripe tomatoes and keep the juices from the tomatoes as they add flavor.
- Onions– Either sweet or red onion may be used. Finely chop the onion.
- Jalapenos– We like to add jalapenos for a kick in the salsa. If you don’t like spicy food, leave out the jalapenos.
- Cilantro– Finely chop the fresh cilantro.
- Garlic– Though garlic is not a classic ingredient, we love the added flavor it gives the salsa.
- Seasoning– Season with cumin, salt, and pepper (to taste).
- Lime– The freshly squeezed lime gives the tomatoes so much flavor and is a key ingredient in the recipe.
- Rest– Mix all of the ingredients and rest for 10 minutes allowing the salsa a quick marinade. You can make the pico de gallo up to 2 hours in advance and keep refrigerated (or overnight).
|Chef’s tip: Since the tomatoes release juices and combined with the lime juice, there is a lot of liquid in the salsa. Serve the pico de gallo with a slotted spoon.|
What do you serve with Pico De Gallo?
Serve Pico De Gallo as you would your favorite salsa or side dish, especially great when accompanied these dishes:
The Pico De Gallo is especially great with freshly grown tomatoes and may be used with cherry tomatoes in the winter. I hope this appetizer becomes a new favorite!
Other Mexican Recipes-
- Chicken Tacos– so quick
- Shrimp Rice Bowl– with the best cilantro lime sauce
- Shrimp Tacos– with the best sauce
- Chicken Quinoa Bowl– so healthy
- Taco Bowl– with seasoned taco meat
Pico de Gallo
- In a serving bowl, add the cubed tomatoes, chopped onions, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and lime juice. Mix everything until well combined.
- Serve and enjoy!