I love this easy Dorito Taco Salad Recipe. Ground meat with all of the classic toppings for a taco over a bed of lettuce served with sour cream and salsa.
This salad is so hearty and the perfect lunch or dinner option.
Enjoy this video recipe tutorial for Taco Salad. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel. ?
What is Taco Salad?
Taco salad is considered a Tex-Mex dish. A dish that originated from Texas that was inspired by Mexican cuisine. Ground meat with all of the classic toppings for a taco over a bed of lettuce.
You can totally personalize the salad with your favorite toppings. We really enjoy the combination of Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, corn, onion, cheese, avocado, Doritos with sour cream, salsa and of course fresh ground beef seasoned (with our taco seasoning).
|The salad may either be served in a bowl or serve the ingredients buffet style allowing everyone to add their favorite toppings to their salad.|
How to Make Taco Salad-
This salad comes together so quickly. While the meat is cooking, you can slice and cut the rest of the ingredients and you are ready to serve.
- Cook meat– Cook meat using our taco meat recipe HERE.
- Prep veggies– Slice the onion, cut tomato in half, and slice avocado. TIP: You can either cube the vegetables into small pieces or slice them.
- Saute corn– We prefer the corn sauteed and hot when serving the salad. Saute corn with butter until it starts to become golden. If you don’t like your corn hot, skip this step.
- Doritos– The Doritos can either be added to the salad whole or crushed, we prefer crushed so there’s some in every bite.
- Dressing– So the salad isn’t dry, we like to serve it with sour cream and salsa.
Can you prepare the salad in advance?
Yes! You can cook the meat in advance and reheat it when serving. The vegetables may also be prepped in advance and kept in the refrigerator unmixed (except avocado).
Can I use store-bought seasoning?
If you don’t want to prepare the homemade taco seasoning for the ground beef, you can definitely use purchased seasoning, especially if you are looking to save tips. TIP: If you often cook with taco seasoning, I make a large portion and it lasts me a while.
What toppings are good for taco salad?
Though we used the classic taco toppings, here are some other ideas for toppings:
- Jalapeno or hot sauce for heat.
- Beans for a heartier meal.
- Use Ranch or Chipotle as dressing.
- Guacamole instead of slices of avocado.
- Substitute Romaine with iceberg lettuce.
More Mexican Dishes:
- Shrimp Tacos– ready in just 15 minutes.
- Chipotle Bowl– quick meal in a bowl.
- Shrimp Fajitas Recipe– for the seafood fans.
- Chicken Fajita Quesadilla– classic recipe.
Alright friends, enjoy this salad as your next Taco Tuesday dinner and enjoy the rave reviews from the whole family.
Dorito Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 recipe of taco meat
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped (1 large head)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese*
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Dorito chips
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup salsa, for topping
- 1 cup sour cream, for topping