An easy and quick classic Chicken Marsala recipe. Breaded and pan-fried chicken cutlets in a creamy and rich Marsala wine sauce and loaded with mushrooms. This Italian-American dish is ready in under 30-minutes and will become a family favorite.
What is Chicken Marsala?
Chicken Marsala is a traditional Italian dish that has become quite popular in most American and Italian restaurants. Chicken cutlets pan-fried until crispy loaded with mushrooms in a creamy Marsala wine sauce.
This dish is so easy to make at home at a fraction of the cost. Winner!
How to make the best homemade Chicken Marsala
- Either use chicken strips or cut chicken breasts into thin cutlets by slicing the breast in half horizontally.
- Slice mushrooms into thick slices and sauté with the butter and garlic.
- Using the same pan, add ingredients for the Marsala wine sauce, once it thickens return the chicken back to the pan and simmer. Coat the chicken generously with the Marsala wine sauce.
- Dinner is ready! Easy, peasy under 30-minute meal, the whole family will love.
How to make a creamy Marsala wine sauce
This recipe makes a lot of the Marsala wine sauce. It’s perfect to pour over your pasta or mashed potatoes as a gravy.
- Use a dry Marsala wine, a sweet wine will not taste right.
- Once the mushrooms are sautéed with the garlic and butter, add Marsala wine with chicken broth and allow the sauce to simmer several minutes before adding the heavy whipping cream.
- The sauce should simmer for several minutes until it thickens. Once the chicken cutlets are added back into the sauce, the chicken breading will thicken the sauce even more.
- For a lighter sauce, use half and half in place of heavy whipping cream. However, the sauce will not be at thick if using half and half.
What side to serve with this recipe?
Pasta is a classic side to serve with the recipe. Angel hair is our favorite pasta to use though spaghetti, linguine or even fettuccine may be used if that’s your personal preference. If you don’t like pasta, serve the dish with mashed potatoes or zucchini zoodles.
Pour the extra sauce over your side for added flavors and creaminess.
What kind of wine can I use for Chicken Marsala?
I’ve experimented with many Marsala wines and most work wonderful in the recipe. You don’t need to purchase a really expensive wine.
I hope you give this easy Chicken Marsala Recipe a try. Don’t forget to tag us on social media if you do. We love seeing your creations. #ValentinasCorner
Other popular chicken recipes to try:
- Chicken Parmesan Recipe– The best chicken parmesan recipe!
- Chicken Scampi Recipe– Simple chicken scampi copycat recipe.
- Creamy Chicken Shrimp Scampi Recipe– Chicken and shrimp in a creamy sauce.
Chicken Marsala Recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts (3 small)
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 12 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ tsp salt
- Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise. Lightly beat chicken until even in thickness.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the breading.
- Generously coat the chicken cutlets in the chicken breading.
- In a skillet, heat 3 Tbsp oil. Once hot, cook the chicken until fully cooked flipping halfway, cook 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Using the same pan, saute the mushrooms with 1 tsp oil in until fully cooked.
- Add 2 Tbsp butter and garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add flour and quickly stir.
- Add the wine, broth, salt, pepper and simmer about 2 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Add in the heavy whipping cream, simmer for another minute.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and cover with the mushrooms Marsala wine. Cook until chicken is hot.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Enjoy, friends.