This creamy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole recipe is going to become a HIT! The classic casserole loaded with shredded cooked chicken in a delicious sauce with poppy seed, topped with crunchy parmesan buttery crackers.
This recipe is similar to our Creamy Chicken Casserole (most popular recipe on our blog) but so much quicker to make.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
poppy seed chicken-
This classic poppy seed chicken casserole recipe is da BOMB and uses ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry. Here’s what you need for poppy seed chicken.
- CHICKEN- Cooked chicken. You can use leftover chicken, Rotisserie chicken or cook chicken breast yourself (what we’ll do in this recipe).
- SAUCE- Though you can use store-bought cream of chicken with the recipe, we will make the sauce from scratch and mix in poppy seeds.
- CRUNCHY TOPPING- To top the chicken off, use a butter parmesan cracker topping. They’ll become crispy as the casserole is baked
how to make poppy seed chicken-
This recipe is SOOO easy to make and comes together so quickly. We used an oval dish for this recipe, you can use something similar in size.
Prepare the chicken:
- COOK CHICKEN- Completely cover 2 chicken breasts with water and lightly season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook 10-12 minutes.
- SHRED CHICKEN- Remove the chicken from the water and shred with two forks.
- In a saucepan, saute butter with garlic until fragrant, whisk in flour.
- Add broth, cream cheese, paprika, cheese, salt, pepper, milk, sour cream, and poppy seed.
- Whisk until sauce comes to a light boil. Remove from heat.
Prepare crunchy topping:
- Crumble crackers.
- Melt butter.
Assemble the chicken casserole:
- Add the chicken to a casserole dish (we used an oval baking dish).
- Pour the poppy seed cream over the chicken. Add the shredded cheese.
- Mix everything to combine.
- Top casserole with crackers and pour melted butter or crackers.
- BAKE and Enjoy!
what to serve with poppy seed chicken casserole-
how to freeze poppy seed chicken casserole-
- Prepare chicken casserole per instructions (allow the sauce to cool before adding to chicken and combining with cheese).
- Cover and freeze in a baking dish for up to 2 months.
- To REHEAT chicken casserole, thaw overnight in the refrigerator or the morning of and bake per instructions.
NOTE: If this recipe is too large for you, prepare casserole in 2 baking dishes and use once, freeze the other.
I can’t for you to give this chicken casserole a recipe a try. You are going to fall in love with the added poppy seeds in a creamy sauce and crunchy topping.
Try these other great recipes:
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole– the best chicken dinner!
- Chicken Stuffed Shells– shells loaded with a creamy mixture.
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken– think pulled chicken sandwiches.
- Mushroom Chicken Pasta– the easiest creamy pasta recipe!
Creamy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb chicken (2 breasts)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 ½ Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese, mozzarella or any mixed cheese
- 1 ½ Tbsp poppy seeds
- ¼ tsp ground paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 sleeve crackers
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, add chicken breast and enough water to completely cover the chicken, lightly season with salt. Cook about 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from water and shred chicken with two forks.
- In a saucepan, saute together 4 tbsp butter and garlic, until garlic is fragrant.
- Quickly whisk in flour.
- Add in milk, broth, cream cheese, sour cream, cheese, poppy seeds, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat, until sauce comes to a soft boil, stirring continuously.
- Spread the shredded cooked chicken on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Pour the creamy mixture over the chicken.
- Top with parmesan cheese and crushed crackers. Pour 4 Tbsp of melted butter over the crackers.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, or until sauce bubbles and the crackers are golden and crispy.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!