Quick and easy recipe for Sausage Potato Breakfast Casserole. The breakfast casserole is loaded with sausage, vegetables, potatoes in cheesy eggs and topped with more cheese.
A hearty breakfast casserole is always a great idea. This casserole is just that and truly is the best breakfast casserole. It’s loaded with sausage, cubed potatoes and vegetables in a cheesy egg mixture. This casserole is great to make on a simple weekend, for brunch or when you are having guests over or for the Holidays.
Can I substitute Vegetables in Breakfast Casserole?
Yes, substitute indicated vegetables to your favorite vegetables. Cubed zucchini, asparagus or broccoli are all great substitutions or additions to vegetables.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole-
This breakfast casserole can easily be prepared in advance the night before. Prepare the breakfast casserole the night before, top with cheese, cover with foil and refrigerate. Add an additional 5 minutes to the baking time to the covered dish since all of the ingredients will be cold.
Push down the potatoes so they are completely submerged in the egg mixture so the potatoes down brown.
How to Make an Easy Breakfast Casserole-
- Cube the potatoes, about ¼” in size.
- Finely cube the onion, red and green pepper and mushrooms.
- In a skillet, brown the sausage.
- Saute the vegetables.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage, vegetables, egg mixture and cheese.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with more cheese.
- Bake the casserole and enjoy!
What kind of Potatoes are used in Breakfast Casserole?
- Idaho, Yukon gold, Russet or red potatoes will all work in a breakfast casserole.
- The potatoes may be grated, if desired, instead of the cubed option per instructions. If grating potatoes, they don’t need to be boiled for 5 minutes.
What kind of Cheese Can be Used in Breakfast Casserole?
- You can use your favorite cheese! I typically use a Colby Jack or Mexican cheese for the casserole dish. A mixture of Mozzarella and Mild Cheddar may be combined to use in the recipe.
Try these other BREAKFAST recipes:
- Sweet Potato & Egg One-Skillet Breakfast– One of my favorite breakfast, on repeat!
- Breakfast Casserole Recipe– For those that like sausage and gravy.
- Maple Pecan French Toast Recipe– A perfect combination, not overly sweet.
What should I serve Breakfast Casserole with?
The casserole is already loaded with so many wonderful ingredients and can be served as it with ketchup or hot sauce.
However, fresh avocado and tomatoes with cilantro or green onion add even more flavor to the dish.!
Amazing hearty Breakfast Casserole Recipe. The casserole is loaded with sausage, potatoes and vegetables in a cheesy egg mixture.
- 1 lb potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb Italian sausage, mild
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- garlic cloves, minced
- ½ red pepper, cubed
- ½ green pepper, cubed
- 6 oz mushrooms, cubed
- 7 large eggs
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground pepper, or to taste
Dice potatoes. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
Heat a large skillet over med/high heat and brown sausage, breaking up the meat as it’s cooked. Remove sausage.
In the same skillet, add 1 tsp oil and the onions, peppers and mushrooms. Sautee until vegetables are slightly tender. Add garlic and mix and set aside to cool.
Whisk together the eggs, half and half and season with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, combine the potatoes, sautéed vegetables and sausage, egg mixture and 1 cup of cheese. Mix.
Transfer to a baking dish.
Cover baking dish with foil. Bake in a preheated oven to 375°F covered 30 minutes.
Uncover, lightly mix ingredients, top with remaining cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes.