Learn how to make crispy and golden homemade Shredded Hash Browns! Shredded potatoes seasoned and pan-fried, cooked perfectly every time.
SHREDDED HASH BROWNS-
All you need for this recipe is just a couple of basic ingredients and you can prepare yourself some hashbrown to go along with your breakfast meats and eggs.
The best part about this recipe is that you most likely already have the ingredients to make these crispy hash browns on hand! All you need is:
- Potatoes– Russet potatoes or Idaho potatoes are the best potatoes for hash browns.
- Oil– You can use any oil you have on hand; olive oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil will all work great. You can even do half oil and half butter.
- Seasoning– We just season the hashbrowns with salt and pepper but you can add any of your favorite seasonings. Try adding Vegeta to the hash browns for added flavor sometimes.
HOW TO MAKE HASH BROWNS-
This recipe comes together so easily and quickly, the perfect recipe for breakfast.
- Prepare Potatoes– Peel and rinse the potatoes. With a grater, grate the potatoes.
- Remove excess starch– Add the shredded potatoes into a bowl of cold water. Drain the shredded potatoes and pat completely dry with a clean dish towel or paper towels.
- Add potatoes to skillet– In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot add in the potatoes and season with salt and pepper and mix until the potatoes are well seasoned.
- Spread potatoes- With a spatula, flatten the potatoes into a thin even layer and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes undisturbed.
- Cook- Flip the potatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve– Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy.
The SECRET to the crispiest shredded hash browns
is making sure all the excess water and excess starch are removed!
HASH BROWN VARIATIONS-
There are several different ways you can put a spin on the classic hash browns! Here are some of our favorite ways add-ins:
- Cheesy Potatoes– Top the potatoes with some shredded cheese and allow to melt into a gooey and cheesy shredded potato.
- Fully Loaded– Add bacon, sausage, peppers, mushrooms and cheese to these potatoes for the ultimate breakfast!
There are so many different ways to serve these potatoes!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, you can. Cook frozen hash browns the same way you just don’t need to rinse them and keep the lid closed on your skillet.
Yes! This step is very important along with the rinsing. Rinsing the potatoes to avoid soggy potatoes. We just use a paper towel or kitchen towel to get all the moisture out.
Yes! These hash browns are great to bake. Oil the baking sheet and add the patted dry shredded potatoes onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season, and bake at 400F for about 15 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Yes, you can use sweet potatoes to make hash browns!
Yes, freeze leftover hashbrowns by spreading them evenly on a lined baking sheet or place. Transfer for a freezer bag and freeze 2-3 months. Thaw the hash browns and reheat to serve.
HOW TO STORE-
- STORE– Once cooled, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat to enjoy.
- FREEZE– Freeze leftover hashbrowns by spreading them evenly on a lined baking sheet or place. Transfer for a freezer bag and freeze 2-3 months. Thaw the hash browns and reheat to serve.
- REHEAT– Reheat hash browns in a skillet over medium heat until reheated. You can also microwave until reheated.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES-
No better way to start the day off than with an amazing Breakfast. Here are some of our favorite breakfast recipes:
- Avocado Toast
- Breakfast Sandwich
- French Toast Recipe
- Sausage Gravy Recipe
- Croissant Breakfast Sandwich
- Breakfast Burrito
- Easy Pancake Recipe
Homemade Shredded Hash Browns Recipe
- Peel and rinse the potatoes. Shred the potatoes with a grater.
- Add the shredded potatoes into a bowl of cold water. Drain the potatoes and pat dry with a dish towel or paper towel.
- In a skillet heat the oil on high medium heat. Once hot add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper and mix until the potatoes are well seasoned.
- With a spatula, flatten the potatoes into a thin even layer and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes undisturbed. Flip the potatoes and cook for another 3-4minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy.