Hearty homemade breakfast burrito recipe. Flour tortillas loaded with eggs, sausage, and cheese – the ultimate breakfast burrito.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. From Classic Crepes to the traditional Breakfast Sandwich, a good meal for breakfast can really kick start the entire day.
What’s a breakfast burrito-
A breakfast burrito (also known as a breakfast wrap) is a flour tortilla filled with breakfast ingredients that is then rolled up like a burrito.
You can personalized the ingredients to add your favorite flavor, but we love the classic sausage with fluffy eggs and cheese.
How to make burritos-
- Prepare the filling– In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown the sausage breaking it up as it’s being sauteed, add the onion and red pepper and cook until tender. Remove from the skillet.
- Saute the eggs with butter until cooked, back in the sausage along with tomatoes.
- Add the egg mixture to the tortilla and top with cheese.
- Assemble the burritos– Roll the wrap tightly by folding over the sides of the tortilla then rolling the tortilla into a log.
- Cook burritos– Lightly grease a skillet. Once hot, add the burritos seam down. Cook the burritos turning them over so all sides are browned and golden.
What to serve with Breakfast Burritos-
Though the wraps are great as is, we enjoy the burritos with homemade guacamole and the kids really enjoy them with sour cream and ketchup.
How to freeze burritos-
Once the burritos are assembled, add the burritos into a single layer into a gallon freezer bag. Freeze the burritos up to 3 months, thaw overnight in the fridge and cook per instructions.
Try these other great breakfast recipes:
- Sweet Crepes– easy crepes with a ricotta cheese filling.
- Ham & Cheese Croissant– sandwich loaded with ham, cheese, and egg.
- Oatmeal– learn how to make the best oatmeal.
- Breakfast Sliders– an easy breakfast idea!
Breakfast Burrito (Freezer-Friendly Recipe)
- 8 soft medium flour tortillas
- 1/2 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, cubed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheese**
- 6 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp half and half
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, any
Preparing Breakfast Burrito-
- In a skillet, saute the sausage until fuly cooked, breaking the meat apart.
- Add the chopped onion and pepper to the sausage and saute until vegetables are tender.
- Remove the sausage mixture from the skillet.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, half and half and season to taste.
- In the same skillet, cook the eggs with 1 Tbsp butter until the eggs are cooked.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the sausage mixture into the eggs and mix.
- Lay out the tortilla, add cheese and top with the egg and meat mixture. Divide mixture among all the 8 tortillas.
- Roll the burrito tight, by folding the edges and then rolling up the tortilla.
To Cook Breakfast Burritos-
- Drizzle skillet with oil and heat over med heat. Add the desired amount of burritos, cook until each side is golden and crispy, turning as needed.