Hearty homemade breakfast burrito recipe. Flour tortillas loaded with eggs, sausage, and cheese – the ultimate breakfast burrito.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
What’s a breakfast burrito-
A breakfast burrito (also known as a breakfast wrap) is a flour tortilla filled with breakfast ingredients that is then rolled up like a burrito.
The ingredients can be personalized to taste though we love the classic sausage with fluffy eggs and cheese.
How to make burritos-
- Prepare the filling– In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown the sausage breaking it up as it’s being sauteed, add the onion and red pepper and cook until tender. Remove from the skillet.
- Saute the eggs with butter until cooked, back in the sausage along with tomatoes.
- Add the egg mixture to the tortilla and top with cheese.
- Assemble the burritos– Roll the wrap tightly by folding over the sides of the tortilla then rolling the tortilla into a log.
- Cook burritos– Lightly grease a skillet. Once hot, add the burritos seam down. Cook the burritos turning them over so all sides are browned and golden.
What to serve with Breakfast Burritos-
Though the wraps are great as is, we enjoy the burritos with homemade guacamole and the kids really enjoy them with sour cream and ketchup.
How to freeze burritos-
Once the burritos are assembled, add the burritos into a single layer into a gallon freezer bag. Freeze the burritos up to 3 months, thaw overnight in the fridge and cook per instructions.
Try these other great breakfast recipes:
- Sweet Crepes– easy crepes with a ricotta cheese filling.
- Ham & Cheese Croissant– sandwich loaded with ham, cheese, and egg.
- Oatmeal– learn how to make the best oatmeal.
- Breakfast Sliders– an easy breakfast idea!
Breakfast Burrito (Freezer-Friendly Recipe)
- 8 soft medium flour tortillas
- 1/2 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, cubed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheese**
- 6 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp half and half
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, any
Preparing Breakfast Burrito-
- In a skillet, saute the sausage until fuly cooked, breaking the meat apart.
- Add the chopped onion and pepper to the sausage and saute until vegetables are tender.
- Remove the sausage mixture from the skillet.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, half and half and season to taste.
- In the same skillet, cook the eggs with 1 Tbsp butter until the eggs are cooked.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the sausage mixture into the eggs and mix.
- Lay out the tortilla, add cheese and top with the egg and meat mixture. Divide mixture among all the 8 tortillas.
- Roll the burrito tight, by folding the edges and then rolling up the tortilla.
To Cook Breakfast Burritos-
- Drizzle skillet with oil and heat over med heat. Add the desired amount of burritos, cook until each side is golden and crispy, turning as needed.
This recipe was originally created in December 2015 and update June 2020.