Quick and EASY homemade Chicken Lo Mein Recipe! Soft egg noodles loaded with chicken and vegetables in flavor-packed sauce, ready in just 30 minutes!
This recipe is great if you are craving a classic Chinese takeout meal.
Chicken Lo Mein-
This Chicken Lo Mein recipe is so much better than any Asian restaurant. Soft egg noodles with chicken, vegetables and green onion in a rich sauce.
|Difference between Chicken Chow Mein vs Lo Mein? |
The biggest difference between the two is in the preparation of the noodles. Chow mein noodles are boiled and fried until crispy while in lo mein, noodles are boiled and tossed with the sauce and remaining ingredients.
Both are egg noodles, lo mein noodles are slightly thicker and not as firm at the chow mein.
How to make chicken lo mein?
This recipe takes under 30 minutes to make and is so good for when you want a quick dinner.
- Cook noodles- Cook the lo mein noodles according to package instructions. Drain the noodles and cover to keep warm. (You can use just about any lo mein noodle, we have experimented with THESE and they worked great!)
- Chicken– Cut the chicken into thin even strands. Saute until fully cooked, remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Vegetables- Cut the carrots and peppers into thin even strands. Saute the vegetables until the desired doneness. Add in the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant. (We used a microplane grater for the ginger, you can also use that for the ginger if you don’t have a garlic press.)
- Prepare sauce- In a bowl, quickly whisk together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Combine- Add the chicken, green onion and noodles to the skillet. Pour the sauce over everything and cook until the sauce thickens.
FREQUENLTY ASKED QUESTIONS-
We used chicken as the choice of protein in this recipe. However, beef and shrimp work great in lo mein instead of the chicken.
We only used carrots, peppers and green onion in our lo mein. You can also add broccoli, snow peas, zucchini, mushrooms, cabbage or onions with great results!
Yes, you can definitely substitute for chicken thighs and continue with the recipe per instructions.
Yes, you can! However, it won’t taste like the classic lo mein as the noodles really do make a difference.
Reheat the lo mein in a skillet over low heat. If it’s too dry, add some butter when reheating.
You can store the chicken lo mein in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
NOTE: Since the chicken lo mein calories really arent’ too bad, you can enjoy the dish without guilt!. 🙂
Enjoy this copycat Asian restaurant copycat recipe. You kids will love the lo mein just as much as the adults will.
Since the lo mein is cooking using one pan, you have fewer dishes to clean and that’s a winner for me.
oTHER ASIAN INSPIRED RECIPES-
- Shrimp Stir Fry– shrimp and vegetables in sauce.
- Chicken Gyoza– quick chicken dumplings.
- Beef Stir Fry– for those that like a good beef dinner.
- Ground Beef Stir Fry– so good with ground meat.
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
- 8 oz lo mein noodles
- 3/4 lb chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin strands
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp green onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil, for sautéing (divided)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, for sautéing (divided)
- Cook lo mein noodles according to package instructions. Drain, cover and set aside to keep warm.
- Cut the chicken into thin strands. Cut the carrot and peppers into thin strands.
- In a large skillet, over med/high heat, saute chicken with 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter until chicken is fully cooked. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the carrot and pepper with an additional 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil until the vegetables are tender. Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the lo mein sauce.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the chicken, green onion and noodles and mix.
- Pour in the sauce and stir.
- Cook until noodles are reheated.
- Enjoy, friends.
- To REHEAT, cook over low heat until heated (add butter if dry).