Orange Chicken is a Chinese restaurant classic that can easily be made at home! Chicken fried until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside then coated in a sweet and tangy sauce, the ultimate Asian-inspired dish.
Skip ordering Chinese takeout and have this hearty dish ready in under 30 minutes.
Chinese ORANGE CHICKEN recipe-
The chicken is sauteed until the skin is crispy then tossed in a homemade orange sauce that is sweet and tangy and absolutely delicious!
This orange chicken is a copycat of Panda Express’ Orange Chicken and is loved by kids and adults alike.
This copycat orange chicken recipe is loaded with so much flavor and so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
- Chicken– For this recipe, we use boneless skinless chicken thighs but you can also use boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Cornstarch– We use cornstarch for that crispy and crunchy exterior.
- Seasoning– To season the chicken we use salt and pepper, you can also use any other favorite go-to seasonings.
Orange Chicken Sauce-
- Butter– We recommend unsalted butter as it’s easier to control the salt in the recipe.
- Garlic– For the best results, use freshly minced garlic.
- Ginger– Freshly grated ginger adds so much flavor to the sauce.
- Soy Sauce– Regular soy sauce or low-sodium soy sauce may be used in this recipe.
- Chicken Broth– The sauce calls for chicken broth but you can use vegetable broth or even beef broth.
- Orange Juice– The secret to this sauce is the orange juice! Use your favorite orange juice without pulp.
- Brown Sugar– To sweeten the sauce you want to be sure to use brown sugar.
- Cornstarch– Acts as a thickening agent.
- Sriracha– Sriracha adds heat to the sauce. You can adjust the amount of heat by the amount of Sriracha you add.
HOW TO MAKE ORANGE CHICKEN-
With just a few simple steps you can have this orange chicken ready to enjoy!
- Saute Chicken– Cube the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat Chicken– Coat the chicken completely in the cornstarch.
- Cook Chicken– Heat oil in a skillet and then saute the chicken until golden and crispy.
- Prepare Sauce– In a saucepan, saute butter with ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Combine– Pour the orange chicken sauce over the chicken and toss to combine.
- Serve and Enjoy!
This dish is so delicious and great when served with the right side dishes. Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy this orange chicken:
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Steam White or Brown Rice
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Vegetables
- Zucchini Noodles
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
For the best results, you want to use boneless skinless chicken thighs. Chicken thighs result in a juicier and more tender chicken.
Yes! You can add sauteed onions and bell peppers to this dish.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat the orange chicken in the oven, microwave, or stovetop until reheated.
We do not recommend freezing the orange chicken.
If you like your dish saucier you can make a double portion of the orange chicken sauce.
OTHER ASIAN-INSPIRED RECIPES-
We share so many of our favorite Asian Recipes but these are by far our most popular:
- Pork Potstickers
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Ground Beef Stir Fry
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Gyoza Recipe
- Asian Chicken Wings
Orange Chicken (Chicken Takeout)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp oil, sauteing
- Cube the chicken into even bite-sized pieces and add to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken on all sides in the cornstarch.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium/high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and saute for about 5-6 minutes over medium/high heat or until golden and crispy on all sides.
Make Orange Chicken Sauce-
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute butter, garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, orange juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch and sriracha to the saucepan and whisk.
- Bring the orange chicken sauce to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Once the chicken is done cooking add the orange chicken sauce to the chicken and toss to combine.
- Top with fresh chopped green onion and sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy.