This simple and healthy Shrimp Stir Fry Recipe is a twist on the classic Chicken Stir Fry! The dish is packed with flavor from sauteed vegetables, juicy shrimp, and the best sweet sticky stir-fry sauce.
The stir fry has all of the flavors you’d expect in Chinese cuisine yet so much better than takeout!
Shrimp Stir Fry Recipe:
Shrimp Stir Fry is an Asian-inspired dish made with sauteed shrimp and vegetables and then smothered in a perfect honey-soy stir-fry sauce. It comes together so quickly but tastes like you ordered from a five-star restaurant! Make this for a casual family dinner or to impress company.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Easy meal. Great for a filling lunch or quick dinner!
- Quicker to make. Comes together quicker at home than picking up takeout!
- Minimal mess. One-pan meal for easy clean up.
- So versatile. Easy to customize with ingredients already in your fridge.
- Great for days. Makes the most delicious leftovers and meal prepping for the week!
Shrimp Stir Fry Ingredients:
The ingredients for this shrimp and vegetable stir fry are minimal but pair so well together.
- Shrimp- you can use raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, or frozen shrimp. If using frozen shrimp, thaw before cooking.
- Onion- finely chopped, or sliced into strips if you like a stronger onion flavor.
- Vegetable- we used broccoli, mushrooms, and red bell peppers for the vegetables cut into uniform pieces.
- Garlic and ginger- don’t skimp on the garlic, it adds great flavor to the vegetables and shrimp and the ginger gives it an authentic flavor.
- Sauce- chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, cornstarch, and hot sauce make up the stir fry sauce.
- Green onion and sesame seeds- optional for garnish.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities see the recipe card below.
How to Make Shrimp Stir-Fry:
The shrimp and broccoli stir fry comes together in no time, so have all your ingredients by cutting and measuring and be ready before firing up the stove.
- Cook shrimp: Add 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil to a large skillet. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, then saute over medium-high heat for 2 minutes per side, or until opaque. Remove from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Saute onion: Add another tablespoon of both butter and oil to the same skillet. Add the chopped onion and saute until tender.
- Saute veggies: Add another 2 Tbsp butter to the pan along with the broccoli, mushrooms, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are desired tenderness. Add the minced garlic and ginger to the vegetables and cook for an additional minute, or until fragrant.
- Make sauce: In a small bowl, mix together chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, cornstarch, and hot sauce to make the stir-fry sauce. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens. Add the shrimp back into the mixture until reheated. Garnish with chopped green onion and sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy, friends!
Substitutions and Variations-
This recipe is a great one to get creative with! Adjust the ingredients based on what you and your family love!
- Different vegetables: You can use just about any vegetable in this stir fry, there’s no right or wrong way! Try with zucchini, green beans, snow peas, snap peas, asparagus, carrots, or baby corn spears.
- Different protein: This recipe can be adjusted to make a chicken stir fry or a beef stir Fry with a few changes.
- Modify sauce: Modify the sauce to your liking by adding more hot sauce, or a pinch of red pepper flakes, for a spicier sauce. Or, add more honey if you prefer a sweeter sauce.
You can serve the stir fry shrimp with vegetables on its own, or pair with a side. Here are some popular pairings:
- Over grains: Stir-fries are best served over a bed of Rice. You can substitute it with cauliflower rice if you’re watching carbs.
- With noodles: For shrimp stir fry with noodles, pair with Lo Mein noodles or your favorite pasta. Or, serve with edamame noodles for a low-carb, high-protein option.
Yes, frozen vegetables will work great. Just add them in place of the fresh ones and cook over medium heat as they thaw.
Shrimp is easy to overcook, and will become rubbery if overcooked. For perfectly cooked shrimp, watch carefully and remove from heat once the shrimp have curled to a “C” shape and are no longer translucent.
Allow the sauce to cook for at least a minute in order to thicken. If needed, add a bit more cornstarch to further thicken the sauce.
Overcrowding the pan will result in steamed vegetables rather than a crisp-tender result. Saute over medium-high heat for a crisp outside and a tender result without steaming the veggies.
Store & Reheat:
- Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Allow the stir fry shrimp to cool completely. Add to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to three months. Thaw completely and reheat before serving.
- Reheat: Easily reheat in the microwave until warmed through. Or, add back to the stovetop and reheat over medium heat until reheated.
More Shrimp Recipes:
If you like shrimp, be sure to try these other delicious shrimp recipes from our blog, with Shrimp Fried Rice as a personal favorite:
Easy Shrimp Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 1/3 red pepper, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups medium broccoli florets
- 3 Tbsp garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
stir fry sauce-
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 ½ Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp sriracha sauce (or hot sauce)
- green onion, optional
- sesame seed, optional
- In a skillet, saute shrimp with 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil, about 2 minutes per side. Once shrimp is cooked, remove from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, add another 1 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp oil and the chopped onion, cook 3-4 minutes, until tender.
- Add an additional 2 Tbsp butter, broccoli florets, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are desired doneness.
- Add in minced garlic and ginger, stir and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the stir fry sauce, pour in to the vegetables and cook over med heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add shrimp back to skillet, reheat shrimp and serve.
- Enjoy, friends.