The easiest Crab Cucumber Kani Salad Recipe you will ever make. Thin crab strips with julienned cucumbers, a spicy mayonnaise dressing topped with crunchy panko breadcrumbs. You’re going to feel like you are at a fancy Japanese Steakhouse when you try this salad.
kani salad recipe-
This Japanese crab and cucumber salad is absolutely phenomenal. Without the homemade mayo dressing, it only requires 3 ingredients. It’s so simple to make but tastes SO GOOD! Thin thinly cut imitation crab and cucumbers mixed with the homemade spicy mayo and the added crispiness from the Panko breadcrumbs really makes for a great salad! Serve the salad with Chicken Fried Rice.
NOTE: The name Kani is referred to imitation crab – a must in the Japanese restaurant to make sushi.
how to make Japanese kani salad-
This version of Kani salad doesn’t get any easier and simpler. Yes, getting the crab meat really thin along with the cucumbers is really time-consuming but worth all the effort. And yes, the thin strips really are better than thicker slices.
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the homemade spicy mayo. Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, Sriracha and salt until creamy.
- Cut the cucumber into thin julienned pieces.
- Pull apart the crab meat into thin strands.
- In a bowl, combine the cucumbers and crab. Pour dressing and mix. Top salad with Panko breadcrumbs.
can I prepare the salad in advance?
Yes, this cucumber salad with crab is great to prepare up to one day in advance. Prepare the dressing and keep in a container, cut the cucumbers and crab into thin strands and keep covered. Before serving, mix the salad and top with crumbs.
how do I store leftover salad?
If there’s any leftover salad (probably won’t be), store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The salad will stay fresh for a few days.
This Japanese Cucumber and Crab Salad is such a great recipe. It’s not your average salad recipe, but it tastes just as good. You can prepare and do all your cutting beforehand and just mix it with dressing right before serving. Make this salad for your next gathering, it will be a hit and you won’t regret it!
Try these other imitation CRAB recipes:
- Tortilla Crab Wheels– unique pinwheels.
- Creamy Crab Dip– served cold.
- Crab Stuffed Salmon– amazing combination.
Crab and Cucumber Kani Salad Recipe
- 8 oz imitation crab
- 4 mini cucumbers
- 3 Tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- Julienne cucumbers and crab meat in thin strips (just pull apart the crab).
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing. Add about ¾ of the dressing to the salad. Mix. Add more dressing if needed.
- Top salad with crumbs. ENJOY, friends.